1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave interference-double slit

Tags:
  1. Jul 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A student performing Young's experiment with a single-colour source finds the
    distance between the first and the seventh nodal lines to be 6.0 cm. The screen
    is located 3.0 m from the two slits. The slit separation is 2.2 x 10^2 nanometres. Calculate
    the wavelength of the light.

2. Relevant equations
    x/L = wavelength/ d

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found a solution online and they made the distance 2.2 x 10^-4 metres instead of 2.2 x 10^-7 if you do the conversion. I think they multiplied by something but i don't know why they would need to.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2015 #2
    The slit separation of 2.2 x 10^2 nanometres does not make any sense.

4. Jul 24, 2015 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not? If you are referring to the practical limitation, we already have technology to fabricate sub-micro structure with a very good precision.
    What number did you get using the original value of slit separation? I believe the number you got won't qualify to being called "light". Changing the slit separation by three orders of magnitude will make the wavelength lies in the visible region, which is in conform with the calling of the illuminating EM wave as light.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted