1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave (interference pattern)

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    Heres the situation,
    You have 2 point sources producing circular water waves, in which the phase is adjustable.
    The question is In what respects does the interference pattern change and in what respects does it stay constant when the relative phase of your sources changes from 0 degrees to 180 degrees?

From my testbook I know that 180 degrees means out of phase... but I still dont know how to answer this question. All I know is that the answer should deal with those nodal lines.

Can anyone please help?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

WHen the two sources are in-phase, what sort of interference (constructive or destructive) would you get along the line through teh center? If the two sources went out 180 degrees out of phase (this means 1/2 cycle out of phase, or in other words, totaly out of phase) then the type of interference along the central line would be completely the opposite. Instead of maximum intensity, you would get...

How about the higher order mins and maxes. What would happen to each "constructive interference" zone?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?