How Do Wave Interference and Velocity Relate in Real-Life Scenarios?

In summary, the conversation discusses a beach comber's observations of interference patterns in waves reflecting off of a concrete breaker. The waves have a maximum oscillation of 2.4 seconds at a distance of 3.2m from the breaker, and there is no vertical change in motion 3.2m further out. The conversation then calculates the length and velocity of the waves, determining a wavelength of 12.8m and velocity of 2.7m/s.
thatoneguy6531

Homework Statement

A beach comber walking along the top of a sea wall notices that the waves reflecting off of the concrete breaker are creating a pattern of interference with the original incoming waves. A few meters from the breaker the waves are at maximum oscillation with a time between peak and trough of 2.4 seconds. Exactly 3.2m further to sea, there is virtually no vertical change in the water's motion. What is the length and velocity of the waves?

Homework Equations

v=fxlamda

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not sure if I'm completely misinterpreting this but I'm thinking it forms a standing wave pattern and the first node is 3.2m away from the antinode so 3.2m x 4 = a wavelength of 12.8m and then v=(4.)(12.8m)(1/4.8)= 2.7m/s
Did I do it right or am I completely off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds reasonable to me.

The distance between max and min is 3.2m ... separation of consecutive maxima is 6.4m.
Which would represent a path difference of a single wavelength.

Oh wait. 2.4 s is the period not the frequency.

That makes a difference yes ;)
You only need to relate the period of the standing wave oscillations to the speed and wavelength of the two traveling waves that make it.

Your attempt at a solution is correct. The length of the waves can be determined by doubling the distance between the first node and the antinode, as you have done, and the velocity of the waves can be calculated using the equation v=fxlambda. However, it should be noted that the units for velocity should be m/s, not just m. Additionally, it would be helpful to include the units for the wavelength, which in this case would be meters. Overall, your solution and approach are correct.

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference occurs when two or more waves meet and interact with each other. This interaction results in the formation of a new wave pattern, which is a combination of the original waves.

2. What causes wave interference?

Wave interference is caused by the superposition of two or more waves. This means that when two or more waves meet, their amplitudes add together to create a new wave with a different amplitude.

3. What are the two types of wave interference?

The two types of wave interference are constructive interference and destructive interference. Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet and their amplitudes add together, resulting in a wave with a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and opposite amplitudes meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a wave with a smaller amplitude.

4. How does interference affect the amplitude of a wave?

Interference can either increase or decrease the amplitude of a wave, depending on the type of interference. Constructive interference increases the amplitude, while destructive interference decreases it.

5. How is wave interference used in real-life applications?

Wave interference is used in many real-life applications, such as noise-cancelling headphones, where destructive interference is used to cancel out unwanted sound waves. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to create an image by analyzing the interference patterns of sound waves. In addition, wave interference is used in many engineering and design fields to improve the performance of devices and systems.