1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave interference

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2 sources emitting radio waves of the same frequency are placed at x=0 meters and x = 1.2 meters. There are nodes at x= 0.344m, x= 0.719m, and x=1.094m. What is the frequency of the 2 sources and the difference in their phase constant

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well i know that maximum destructive interference occurs for every 2pi increase in the difference in phase of the waves
    The difference in phase is:
    dФ = 2Pi (dr)/wavelength + dФ0

where dr is r2 - r1 = difference in radial distance between each source and the point in question
    now here is my problem:
    since dФ0 stays the same, it means that there will be a node for every increase in dr equal to one wavelength
    however, if i use those points mentioned above to find the radial difference for each point, i get
    dr1 = 0.512
    dr2 = 0.238
    dr3 = 0.988

so each one of these nodes has an increase in phase difference of 2Pi from the previous
    so taking the 2 with lower drs :
    dФ1 = 2Pi (0.238)/wavelength + dФ0
    dФ2 = 2Pi (0.512)/wavelength + dФ0 = dФо+ 2Pi
    dФ2 - dФ1 = 2 pi = 2pi (0.512)/wavelength - 2Pi (0.238)/wavelength
    wavelength = 0.512 - 0.238

so the difference between 2 consecutive nodes should give me the wavelength
    ...but these are not evenly spaced, so if i use the 2nd set of points instead i get a different result (0.988 - 0.512 = 0.476) so I don't get it, where is my thinking going wrong?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted