1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave mechanics: the ground state and excited state of nitrogen attom

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) To get a wave function for a situation in which the energy is close to [tex] E_0[/tex] and the atom is almost certainly in one of the minama of the potential energy , consider the functions

[tex]\varphi_t(x)=[(\varphi_0(x)+\varphi_1(x))/(2^(1/2)))[/tex],
    [tex]\varphi_b(x)=[(\varphi_0(x)-\varphi_1(x))/(2^(1/2)))[/tex]

a) Using the fact that [tex]E_0[/tex] and [tex] E_1[/tex] are very nearly equal , show that , with appropriate choices of phases for the round state and first excited state wave functions [tex]\varphi_t(x)[/tex] and [tex]\varphi_1[/tex], the function [tex]\varphi_t[/tex] is apprecialbly different from zero on only one side of the triangle, and [tex]\varphi_b(x)[/tex] is appreciabley different from zero only on one side of the triangle, and [tex]\varphi_b(x)[/tex] is appreciably different from zero only the other side

b) show that [tex]\varphi_t[/tex] and[tex] \varphi_b [/tex] are probably normalized if [tex]\varphi_0[/tex] and [tex]\varphi_1[/tex] are normalized

c) If the wave function for the molecule is [tex]\varphi_t[/tex] what is the probablity that the result of the measurement of energy will be the ground state value [tex] E_0[/tex]

d) Given the initial condition that the wave function is [tex] \varphi_t[/tex] at time t=0 , find the wave function as a function of the time in terms of eignefunctions and eigenvalues

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\varphi_t(x)=[(\varphi_0(x)+\varphi_1(x))/2^(1/2))[/tex],
    [tex]\varphi_b(x)=[(\varphi_0(x)-\varphi_1(x))/2^(1/2))[/tex], possibly

[tex]\varphi(t)=\varphi_\pi,_n*exp(-iE_nt/[tex]\hbar[/tex]) and[tex] dP/dx=|\varphi^2|[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a) should I take the commutator of [tex] [\varphi_b(x),\varphi_t(x)][/tex] which equals zero.

b) I probably need to take the conjugate of [tex]\varphi_t[/tex] and [tex] \varphi_b[/tex] ; Not sure how to get [tex] \varphi_0 [/tex] and [tex]\varphi_1[/tex]

c) , Find the probability density of [tex]\varphi_t[/tex] ?

d)
    [tex]\varphi_t(x)=[(\varphi_0(x)+\varphi_1(x))/2^(1/2))[/tex],=> [tex]\varphi_t(x)=[(\varphi_0(x)*exp(-E_0t*i/\hbar) +\varphi_1(x))*exp(-E_1*t*i/\hbar)/2^(1/2))[/tex]?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?