Estimating Radii of Carbon & Oxygen Nuclei with Data

In summary, The conversation discusses diffraction of waves by a circular disc and the occurrence of first minimum in intensity at a scattering angle z. The formula sin(z) = 1.22 * lamda / D is used to estimate the radii of carbon and oxygen nuclei, using data for different energies. The conversation also mentions deriving an expression for the momentum of a particle with a much greater kinetic energy than its rest mass energy, and how it relates to Schrodinger's equation. The participants apologize for any confusion caused.
mmh37
This is supposed to be an easy question, but I appear to be slightly lost. Can anyone give me a hint on what to do here?

when waves of wavelength lamda are diffracted by a circular disc of diameter D the first minimum in the intensity of the scattered waves occurs at a scattering angle z given by

[tex]sin(z) = 1.22 * lamda / D [/tex]

First Minima occur (when scattered from Carbon and Oxygen nuclei)...

for Oxygen (16 O) with E = 420 MeV : z= 45°

for Oxygen (16 O) with E = 360 MeV: z= 53 °

for Carbon (12 C) with E= 420 MeV: z = 50.5°

USE THE ABOVE DATA TO ESTIMATE THE RADII OF THE CARBON AND OXYGEN NUCLEI!

NOTE: ... that before I had do derive an expression for the momentum of the particle when it's kinetic energy is very much greater than it's rest mass energy mc^2

using the energy momentum invariant and neglecting the m^2c^4 term I said that:

[tex] E^2 = p^2*c^2 + m^2*c^4 [/tex]

leads to

[tex] p = E/c [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok...this problem really was easy. I thought there would be much more to it than it actually was ...but yeah, it's simply dumping in numbers into the formula, solving for D, where D = 2r. Oooops! :blushing:

You know, people are used to finding something related to Schroedinger's equation when they see "wave mechanics"...

Daniel.

I know...that's why I was so confused. "Wave mechanics" is the heading to this problem on my sheet...I really don't see why!

Anyways...I am very sorry about having confused you!

Last edited:

1. What data is used to estimate the radii of carbon and oxygen nuclei?

The data used to estimate the radii of carbon and oxygen nuclei typically includes measurements of the nuclear mass and charge distribution, as well as electron scattering experiments and nuclear models.

2. How is the radius of a nucleus calculated?

The radius of a nucleus can be calculated using various equations and models, such as the liquid drop model or the shell model. These models take into account the nuclear mass, charge distribution, and other factors to estimate the radius of a nucleus.

3. Are there any limitations to estimating the radii of carbon and oxygen nuclei?

Yes, there are limitations to estimating the radii of nuclei, including the uncertainty in experimental data and the complexity of nuclear structure. Additionally, different models may give slightly different results, so it is important to consider the limitations and potential sources of error when estimating radii.

4. How do the radii of carbon and oxygen nuclei compare to each other?

The radii of carbon and oxygen nuclei are typically similar, as they both have similar numbers of protons and neutrons. However, due to the different nuclear structures, the radii may vary slightly. Generally, oxygen nuclei are slightly larger than carbon nuclei.

5. Why is it important to estimate the radii of carbon and oxygen nuclei?

Estimating the radii of nuclei is important for understanding the structure and properties of atoms and the forces that hold them together. Additionally, the estimated radii can be used to make predictions about the behavior of atoms in various environments and under different conditions.