1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave mechanics

1. Mar 3, 2006 #1
    This is supposed to be an easy question, but I appear to be slightly lost. Can anyone give me a hint on what to do here?

when waves of wavelength lamda are diffracted by a circular disc of diameter D the first minimum in the intensity of the scattered waves occurs at a scattering angle z given by

[tex]sin(z) = 1.22 * lamda / D [/tex]

First Minima occur (when scattered from Carbon and Oxygen nuclei)...

for Oxygen (16 O) with E = 420 MeV : z= 45°

for Oxygen (16 O) with E = 360 MeV: z= 53 °

for Carbon (12 C) with E= 420 MeV: z = 50.5°

USE THE ABOVE DATA TO ESTIMATE THE RADII OF THE CARBON AND OXYGEN NUCLEI!

______________________________________________________________________________

NOTE: ..... that before I had do derive an expression for the momentum of the particle when it's kinetic energy is very much greater than it's rest mass energy mc^2

using the energy momentum invariant and neglecting the m^2c^4 term I said that:

[tex] E^2 = p^2*c^2 + m^2*c^4 [/tex]

leads to

[tex] p = E/c [/tex]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2
    ok...this problem really was easy. I thought there would be much more to it than it actually was ...but yeah, it's simply dumping in numbers into the formula, solving for D, where D = 2r. Oooops! :blushing:

4. Mar 4, 2006 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know, people are used to finding something related to Schroedinger's equation when they see "wave mechanics"...

Daniel.

5. Mar 4, 2006 #4
    I know...that's why I was so confused. "Wave mechanics" is the heading to this problem on my sheet...I really don't see why!

Anyways...I am very sorry about having confused you!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?