Wave motion and two detectors to measure that motion

In summary, the conversation involves solving for the value of t' using substitution and then using that value to find the magnitude of a disturbance in a wave equation. After some initial confusion, the correct answer is determined to be 100.
tina21
Homework Statement
Envision a wave of the form y(x,y)=100sin(2*pi*x - 4*pi*t) and locate two detectors to measure the disturbances at points x1 = 2 and x2 = 10. What will be the magnitude of the disturbance at the instant t' when y(x1, t') = 100.
Relevant Equations
y(x,y)=100sin(2*pi*x - 4*pi*t)
Solving for t' by substitution I obtained t' = 7/8. Then I substituted x= 10 and t = 7/8 in the given equation. Is that the right way to do it? My answer key says the answer is 100 but I am getting 78.5.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
tina21 said:
Homework Statement: Envision a wave of the form y(x,y)=100sin(2*pi*x - 4*pi*t) and locate two detectors to measure the disturbances at points x1 = 2 and x2 = 10. What will be the magnitude of the disturbance at the instant t' when y(x1, t') = 100.
Homework Equations: y(x,y)=100sin(2*pi*x - 4*pi*t)

Solving for t' by substitution I obtained t' = 7/8. Then I substituted x= 10 and t = 7/8 in the given equation. Is that the right way to do it? My answer key says the answer is 100 but I am getting 78.5.
I get 100. Please post the rest of your working.
(The quick way is to consider what happens to 2πx as x changes from 2 to 10.)

Likes tina21 and Delta2
haruspex said:
I get 100. Please post the rest of your working.
(The quick way is to consider what happens to 2πx as x changes from 2 to 10.)
Hey... I finally got 100 too. Thanks for the help, I looked more carefully and found the error in the calculations

Likes berkeman

1. What is wave motion?

Wave motion refers to the movement of energy through a medium without the medium itself moving significantly. This type of motion can be seen in various phenomena such as sound waves, water waves, and light waves.

2. How do waves travel?

Waves travel by transferring energy from one particle to the next in a medium. This creates a disturbance that moves through the medium, causing the particles to vibrate and creating the appearance of a wave.

3. What are the two detectors used to measure wave motion?

The two detectors commonly used to measure wave motion are the light gate and the ultrasonic detector. The light gate measures changes in light intensity caused by the motion of an object passing through it, while the ultrasonic detector uses sound waves to detect changes in motion.

4. How do the two detectors work together to measure wave motion?

The two detectors work together by detecting changes in motion at different points along a wave. The light gate can measure the motion of a wave as it passes through it, while the ultrasonic detector can measure the motion of a wave at a distance. By comparing the data from both detectors, scientists can get a more comprehensive understanding of the wave's characteristics.

5. What are some real-life applications of measuring wave motion with two detectors?

Measuring wave motion with two detectors has various real-life applications, such as in earthquake detection, sonar technology, and Doppler radar. It can also be used in sports to analyze the motion of athletes and in medical imaging to measure the movement of blood flow or tissues in the body.