1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave nature of light question

1. Aug 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A student enters Best Buy prepared to buy a pair of speakers. Before he does so, he conducts an experiment with them. He places the speakers4.0 m apart and connects a signal generator to both speakers that produces a single and consistent tone. (constant wavelength and frequency) He then walks to a point that is 2.0 m from one speaker and 2.3 m from the other. At that point he notices a quiet “spot”. If the speed of the sound in the room is known to be 350 m/s, calculate the possible frequencies being played by the speakers.

2. Relevant equations
    PD = (n-1/2) λ

3. The attempt at a solution
    f = v/(lambda) = 350/6(2n + 1). Am i on the right track? I don't really understand how the 2m and 2.3 m is involved in this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello,

Well, what does the PD in your relevant equation stand for ?

By the way, I don't really understand the step from there to 350/6(2n + 1), so if yuo could explain what you are doing a little bit ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted