1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave on a string

1. Dec 15, 2003 #1
    A 24m nylon rope has a tension of 1.3x104N. The total mass of the rope is 2.7kg. If a wave pulse starts on one end, how long does it take to reach the other end.
    I get 0.07s
    [tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]
    [tex]t=d/v=d\sqrt{\frac{\mu}{T}}[/tex]
    [tex]\mu=\frac{m}{l}=\frac{2.7kg}{24m}[/tex]
    [tex]t=d/v=d\sqrt{\frac{m}{Tl}}=0.07s[/tex]
    Book has 1.6s

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2003 #2
    one thing you may be doing incorrectly is not taking into account the tension in the rope due to the mass of the rope. This is a little tricky though. Does the question say to disregard the mass of the rope when calculating the total tension?
    good luck,
    Norm

4. Dec 16, 2003 #3
    HOw the string is situated may also help

Is it Vertical

5. Dec 16, 2003 #4
    Stephen, I think you are correct and the book is wrong.

6. Dec 16, 2003 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

If the rope were oriented vertically, the added tension due to the weight of the rope would only be about 270 N at the top (zero at the bottom). I don't think this will make much of difference, compared to the given tension of 1.3x104N. In any case, additional tension would reduce the time. :smile:

The book is wrong (again).

7. Dec 17, 2003 #6
    It seems to me that the book has worded the question terribly. I think the only Force they want us to use is the weight of the rope. If you try that in, you get something very close to 1.6 sec for the time.

Harsh

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?