1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Optics of light

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Light of wavelength 640 nm in water illuminates a glass (n = 1.5) wedge submerged in water (n = 1.33). If the distance between successive bright fringes is 6mm.
    Find a) the change in thickness of the glass between these fringes
    and b) the angle of the wedge

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since it's a bright fringe and n=1 to n=1.5 to n=1.33, it's constructive so 2t= (m+1/2)lambda/nfilm. WHen i plug in the values i get t=(m+1/2)(6.40X10^-7 m)/2(2.5) but i'm not sure how i can find m with the distance between the bright fringes (y=6X10^-3 m)...
    And for the angle of the wedge i thought that it would be pi since n=1 to n=1.5 to n=1.33.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Note that the wedge is submerged in water. Note also that the wavelength is given in water.

Between adjacent bright fringes, what must be the additional phase difference due to the thickness of the glass? What extra thickness is required to produce that phase difference?

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3
    so n=1.33 to n=1.5 to n=1.33 but my formula doesn't change? But i don't know how to use 6mm to get m...like the phase change formula is =2pi(path difference)/lambda or phase change=2pi(m)...? i'm kind of confused at that point..

5. Apr 11, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This formula is almost right. That formula applies when the wavelength is given in air. How would you modify it to use the given wavelength in water?

Then compare two adjacent fringes, call them:
    t1 at m = n
    t2 at m = n + 1

Find the change in thickness.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook