Wave Optics Problems: Diffraction Grating #1 & #2

In summary: The slit spacing in a diffration grating is .0002m. The screen is 2.0m behind the grating. The distance of the first bright fringe is .004m. What is the wavelength of light?y = L\tan\theta \tan^{-1}.004/2 = \theta = .0019 d\sin\theta = \lambda .0002m\sin(.0019) = \lambda = 400nm If this is right then I read from a graph wrong. If this is wrong, then I would appreciate anybody's input. Thank you for your time.In summary, the wavelength of light diffr
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
#1 A diffraction grating having 500lines/mm diffracts visible light at 30 degrees([tex]\pi/6[/tex]) What is its wavelength?

the distance between slits is .002mm(500l^-1)

[tex] d\sin\frac{\pi}{6} = \lambda = 1000nm[/tex], which is too big. The answer is 500nm. What am I doing wrong?

The slit spacing in a diffration grating is .0002m. The screen is 2.0m behind the grating. The distance of the first bright fringe is .004m. What is the wavelength of light?

y = L[tex]\tan\theta[/tex]
[tex] \tan^{-1}.004/2 = \theta = .0019 [/tex]
[tex] d\sin\theta = \lambda [/tex]
[tex] .0002m\sin(.0019) = \lambda = 400nm [/tex]

If this is right then I read from a graph wrong. If this is wrong, then I would appreciate anybody's input. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
G01 said:
#1 A diffraction grating having 500lines/mm diffracts visible light at 30 degrees([tex]\pi/6[/tex]) What is its wavelength?

the distance between slits is .002mm(500l^-1)

[tex] d\sin\frac{\pi}{6} = \lambda = 1000nm[/tex], which is too big. The answer is 500nm. What am I doing wrong?

The correct equation is

[tex] d\sin\frac{\pi}{6} = n \lambda [/tex]

where is an integer. since n=1 gives you a result out of the visible spectrum (in the infrared), you try n=2, which gives something in the visible.

Pat

AHHH icic, very simple now that I see it. Anybody for # 2

bumping the thread...

What is wave optics?

Wave optics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of light as a wave. It deals with the properties of light such as diffraction, interference, and polarization.

What is diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a device that consists of a large number of parallel, equally spaced slits or grooves. It is used to separate light into its component wavelengths by diffracting the light at different angles.

What are the two types of diffraction grating?

The two types of diffraction grating are the transmission grating, which transmits light through the slits, and the reflection grating, which reflects light off of the surface of the grating.

How does a diffraction grating work?

When light passes through a diffraction grating, it is diffracted at different angles depending on its wavelength. The light waves that are in phase with each other will produce constructive interference, resulting in bright spots, while the light waves that are out of phase will produce destructive interference, resulting in dark spots.

What are some applications of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings are used in various scientific and technological applications, such as spectroscopy, laser technology, and optical communication. They are also used in everyday products, such as DVD players and barcode scanners.