What Wavelengths Are Missing in the Reflected Light from a Thin Film Coating?

In summary: The phase change upon reflection has nothing to do with path length difference, but both factors together determine the phase difference (measured in radians) between the reflected waves.
lha08

Homework Statement

A coating of film n=1.37 on glass slabs (n=1.6) is 8.45X10^-5 cm thick.If white light is incident normally, which visible wavelengths are missing in the reflected light? White light containing wavelengths from 400 to 700 nm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for the answer but how am i supposed to know whether it is constructive and destructive? Also, what does the phase changes mean (e.g. pi and 0) and does it have any importance when i solve for the answer?? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
lha08 said:
I know how to solve for the answer but how am i supposed to know whether it is constructive and destructive?
Note that the problem asks about wavelengths that are missing in the reflected light.
Also, what does the phase changes mean (e.g. pi and 0) and does it have any importance when i solve for the answer??
When light reflects off of a surface with a higher index of refraction, there's a phase change of pi. So, in this case, both reflections get the same phase change.

Doc Al said:
Note that the problem asks about wavelengths that are missing in the reflected light.

When light reflects off of a surface with a higher index of refraction, there's a phase change of pi. So, in this case, both reflections get the same phase change.
So, does that mean that it depends on whether if they use "missing" or "enhanced" that allow us to determine if it's constructive or destructive? missing=destructive enhanced=constructive?

I'm not really sure but if i was to graph this, would i ultimately have 2 sinusoidal functions where the first function would have a phase change of pi and the second one with pi as well? so it would just look like a single function that begins at pi?
Thanks a lot.

lha08 said:
So, does that mean that it depends on whether if they use "missing" or "enhanced" that allow us to determine if it's constructive or destructive? missing=destructive enhanced=constructive?
That's right.
I'm not really sure but if i was to graph this, would i ultimately have 2 sinusoidal functions where the first function would have a phase change of pi and the second one with pi as well? so it would just look like a single function that begins at pi?
What matters is the phase difference between the reflected waves. That difference has two sources: (1) phase change upon reflection, and (2) path length differences. Since (1) is the same for both waves, all you need to worry about is (2).

What matters is the phase difference between the reflected waves. That difference has two sources: (1) phase change upon reflection, and (2) path length differences. Since (1) is the same for both waves, all you need to worry about is (2).
Is the phase change and the path difference the same thing except that phase change is in radians and path difference is in meters? Other than that, I'm not really certain what the difference between the two really is..

lha08 said:
Is the phase change and the path difference the same thing except that phase change is in radians and path difference is in meters? Other than that, I'm not really certain what the difference between the two really is..
The phase change upon reflection has nothing to do with path length difference, but both factors together determine the phase difference (measured in radians) between the reflected waves. The path length difference is due to one of the reflected waves traveling a longer distance since it goes back and forth through the thin film; that extra distance translates into a phase difference.

1. What is the difference between thin film interference and thick film interference?

Thin film interference occurs when light reflects off of two surfaces that are very close together, such as in a soap bubble or an oil slick. This results in interference patterns due to the difference in path lengths traveled by the light waves. Thick film interference, on the other hand, occurs when light travels through a medium with varying thickness, such as in a prism or a lens.

2. How do thin films affect the color of objects?

Thin films can create various colors through the process of interference. When white light hits a thin film, some wavelengths will be reflected while others will be transmitted. The reflected and transmitted light waves may interfere with each other, resulting in different colors depending on the thickness of the film. This is why soap bubbles and oil slicks have iridescent colors.

3. What is the principle of thin film interference?

The principle of thin film interference is based on the concept of superposition, where two or more waves overlap and their amplitudes are added together. When light waves reflect off of two surfaces that are very close together, the resulting interference patterns can create areas of constructive and destructive interference, leading to colorful effects.

4. How does the thickness of a thin film affect interference patterns?

The thickness of a thin film plays a crucial role in the interference patterns that are created. When the thickness of the film is an exact multiple of the wavelength of the light, constructive interference occurs and bright colors are seen. However, when the thickness is a half-wavelength or other fraction of the wavelength, destructive interference occurs and dark colors are seen.

5. What are some real-world applications of thin film interference?

Thin film interference is used in a variety of applications, including anti-reflective coatings on glasses and camera lenses, as well as in the production of colorful pigments and coatings on cars, furniture, and other objects. It is also used in the manufacturing of optical filters, mirrors, and other precision optical components in the field of optics and photonics.