Solving Interference and Diffraction Problems

In summary, the first conversation discusses the calculation of the angular separation of interference maxima and the distance between neighboring maxima for a double-slit experiment using red light of a specific wavelength and slit separation. The second conversation discusses the calculation of the width of the central maximum in a single-slit diffraction pattern using yellow light of a specific wavelength and aperture width, viewed on a distant screen. The possible source of error is a mistake with the units.
tandoorichicken
I know how to do these, I think I just somehow fudged up the calculations:

1)A pair of narrow slits is illuminated with red light of wavelength [itex]\lambda[/itex] = 633 nm. The slits are separated by 0.10 mm center-to-center. (a) What is the angular separation of the interference maxima near the center of the pattern? (b) How far apart are neighboring maxima if they are observed on a wall 6.55 m away from the slits?

2)Calculate the width of the central maximum in the single-slit diffractiion pattern of yello light of [itex]\lambda[/itex] = 589.0 nm by a slit 0.250 mm wide viewed on a screen 2.00 m away.

Just to give u an idea of how bad I think I screwed up, I got an answer of around 50 m for the second problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
#1.a.) For the double-slit, we know that maxima occur at integer values of m for:
[tex] d\sin\theta = m\lambda [/tex]
(d is slit separation)
at small values of θ (using a distant screen approximation), the angular separation of consecutive maxima is given by solving for θ when m = 1:
[tex] \theta = \frac{\lambda}{d} [/tex]
b.) to find the distance these are separated on the wall, use θ~y/D:
[tex] y = \frac{\lambda D}d [/tex]
where D is the screen distance.

#2. If you're looking for the full width of the central maximum, can't you find that by looking at the position of the two minima that are on either side of the central maximum? The formula for a maximum is given by
[tex] a\sin\theta = m\lambda [/tex]
where a is the aperture width. m is an integer for a max, but is an odd multiple of 1/2 for a min, so the width of the central max should be defined by m = +1/2 and m = -1/2
Because of the symmetry, this is the same as twice the angle about m = 1/2:
[tex]\sin\theta = \frac{\lambda}{2a} [/tex]
Use the small angle approximation (if you want to) to find:
[tex] \sin\theta \sim \theta \sim \tan\theta = \frac y D = \frac{\lambda}{2a} [/tex]
So the width, w, should be:
[tex] w = 2y = 2D\frac{\lambda}{2a} = \frac{\lambda D}a [/tex]
When you plug in the numbers, I get a little less than half a cm.

These questions are usually pretty straightforward. The most likely source of error is a mistake with the units.

It's possible that you may have made a calculation error or used the wrong formula for the second problem. However, it's important not to get discouraged and to continue practicing and reviewing the concepts of interference and diffraction. These types of problems can be tricky and require attention to detail, so it's not uncommon to make mistakes at first. It's important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct equations for each problem. If you continue to struggle, it may be helpful to seek out additional resources or ask for help from a teacher or tutor. With practice and determination, you will be able to successfully solve these types of problems.

1. What is the difference between interference and diffraction?

Interference refers to the interaction of two or more waves, resulting in the reinforcement or cancellation of the waves depending on their phase. Diffraction, on the other hand, is the bending of waves around obstacles or through openings.

2. How do you determine the path difference in interference and diffraction problems?

The path difference can be calculated by finding the difference between the distances traveled by the two waves from their respective sources to a specific point.

3. What factors affect the amount of interference or diffraction observed?

The amount of interference or diffraction observed depends on the wavelength and amplitude of the waves, the distance between the sources or obstacles, and the angle at which the waves are incident.

4. How do you solve interference and diffraction problems mathematically?

The mathematical equations used to solve interference and diffraction problems depend on the specific scenario. In general, they involve using the principles of superposition and trigonometry to determine the resulting wave amplitudes and intensities at different points.

5. Can interference and diffraction occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, interference and diffraction can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves, water waves, and even matter waves such as electrons.