Integration Method Used to Transform Equation 1 into Equation 2?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integration in equations 1 and 2 and the appearance of (x-x0) instead of (k-k0). It is explained that no integration has been done yet and the factors cancel out due to a mathematical trick. The conversation also mentions a book by David Bohm on quantum theory.
knockout_artist
upload_2016-11-7_15-20-40.png

Hi,

what kind if integration used on equation 1 so it turned into equation 2? this does not look like integration by parts. and where (x-x0) appeared from instead of (k-k0) ?

thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
No integration was done. For instance, for the imaginary term, you multiply by the right-hand side by ##\exp[i k_0(x-x_0)] \exp[-i k_0(x-x_0)]##, and move the second exponential inside the integral sign.

Likes knockout_artist
No integration has been done yet. It's the old mathematical trick of multiplying and dividing by the same thing.
Outside the integral is a factor of
$$\exp\left[-\frac{(x-x_0)^2}2(\Delta k)^2\right]$$
and inside the integral is a factor of the reciprocal
$$\exp\left[\frac{(x-x_0)^2}2(\Delta k)^2\right]$$
These cancel each other out.

They can be freely moved through the integral sign because they do not involve the integration variable ##k##.

EDIT: Darn, Dr Claude jinxed me. Now I'm not allowed to talk for the rest of the day.

I bet you are reading from a Russian book translated into English decades ago.

dextercioby said:
I bet you are reading from a Russian book translated into English decades ago.
:D I have many of those books too.
But this image is from David Bohm's Quantum Theory.

What is a wave packet integral?

A wave packet integral is a mathematical calculation used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a wave packet, which is a localized disturbance in a wave. It is used to determine the probability of finding a particle in a specific location at a specific time.

How is a wave packet integral calculated?

A wave packet integral is calculated by taking the product of the wave function and its complex conjugate, and integrating over all space and time. This integral gives the probability amplitude of finding a particle at a specific location and time.

What is the significance of a wave packet integral in quantum mechanics?

The wave packet integral is significant in quantum mechanics because it helps to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific location, which is essential for understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

How does the shape of a wave packet affect its integral?

The shape of a wave packet can greatly affect its integral. A narrow and well-defined wave packet will have a higher probability of being found in a specific location, while a wider and more spread out wave packet will have a lower probability. The shape of the wave packet also affects the speed and direction of the particle's motion.

What are some real-world applications of wave packet integrals?

Wave packet integrals have many practical applications, such as in quantum computing, where they are used to calculate the probability of a state transition between quantum states. They are also used in laser technology, where they help to describe the behavior of laser beams and their interactions with matter.