Exploring the Wave Packet: A Critical Insight from a QM Introductory Book

In summary, the concept of a wave packet as a solution of the Schrodinger equation depends on the presence of a potential. In the case of a free field, a wave packet is a solution and describes the movement and spreading of the packet through time. However, in the presence of a potential, a wave packet may no longer be a solution and may not remain localized. The term "wave packet" can be defined in different ways, but in general, it refers to a Gaussian-looking solution that evolves over time.
TrickyDicky
In a QM introductory book , I have read that the wave packet is not a solution of the Schrodinger equation, is this true in some context or is it just an mistake of the author?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the potential. If there is a potential, then the wave packet is not a solution. If there is no potential, then the Hamiltonian describes a free field, in which case a wave packet is a solution, and the Schrodinger equation describes how the packet moves and spreads out through time. The easiest way to see this is to break the wave packet apart into different energy eigenstates (this is just a Fourier expansion), which are trivial solutions of the SE.

Chopin said:
It depends on the potential. If there is a potential, then the wave packet is not a solution. If there is no potential, then the Hamiltonian describes a free field, in which case a wave packet is a solution, and the Schrodinger equation describes how the packet moves and spreads out through time. The easiest way to see this is to break the wave packet apart into different energy eigenstates (this is just a Fourier expansion), which are trivial solutions of the SE.

Why? The Schrödinger equation is linear also in the presence of a potential, so you can still create a wave packet solution by superposing an infinity of solutions (all solutions if the system with potential of course).

Or does the "wave packet" terminology imply a gaussian weighted integral over free states? As far as I'm concerned, any localized traveling wave solution is a "wave packet".

Look at the time-dep. S.eq.

[tex]i\partial_t u_E(x,t) = Hu_E(x,t) = Eu_E(x,t)[/tex]

which is solved by

[tex]u_E(x,t) = e^{-iEt}u_E(x)[/tex]

with some dispersion relation

[tex]E=E(k) = k^2/2m[/tex]

where the last equality holds for the free particle.

A wave packet is defined as

[tex]\psi(x,t) = \int dk\,e^{-iEt}u_E(x)\,a(k)[/tex]

Applying the operator

[tex][i\partial_t - H][/tex]

this vanishes identically which shows that the wave packet[tex] \psi(x,t)[/tex] is indeed a solution.

For a non-vanishing potential one has to use the solution [tex]u_E(x,t)[/tex]; the factorization [tex]u_E(x,t) = e^{-iEt}u_E(x)[/tex] derived for vanishing potential is no longer valid.

torquil said:
Why? The Schrödinger equation is linear also in the presence of a potential, so you can still create a wave packet solution by superposing an infinity of solutions (all solutions if the system with potential of course).

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "wave packet". If you define it as "some Gaussian-looking thing that moves around and spreads out, but always looks like a Gaussian", then I'm pretty sure it's only true if you don't have a potential. Of course you can always set up something that looks like a Gaussian at a specific point in time, the key is whether it will continue to look like one after time evolution. I can't remember exactly what will happen if you try that in a potential--one would assume that if you did it in a very very weak potential field it would still basically look like a Gaussian, but in general I don't think it's going to stay very well localized if you've got something strong like a big square well or an SHO or something. In the particular case of a square well, I know it will slosh around between the walls, and interfere with itself, and eventually settle down to pretty much occupying the entire square well evenly. So in that case, it's probably valid to say that it's no longer a wave packet.

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle. It represents a localized region of a wave with a finite range of frequencies or wavelengths. In other words, it is a group of waves that travel together and have a specific shape and size.

2. What is the significance of exploring the wave packet?

Exploring the wave packet is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It allows us to study the properties of particles such as position, momentum, and energy, and how they change over time. This insight is crucial in many areas of science, including particle physics and chemistry.

3. How is the wave packet related to quantum mechanics?

The wave packet is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the wave-like behavior of particles, which cannot be fully understood using classical mechanics. In quantum mechanics, particles are described as both particles and waves, and the wave packet helps us understand how these particles behave as waves.

4. What is the critical insight that can be gained from studying the wave packet?

The critical insight gained from studying the wave packet is that particles at the quantum level do not have a well-defined position or momentum. Instead, they have a probability distribution of being in a certain position or having a certain momentum. This insight challenges our classical understanding of particles and helps us better understand the unpredictable nature of the quantum world.

5. Can the wave packet be observed in real life?

No, the wave packet itself cannot be observed in real life. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, the effects of the wave packet can be observed through experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrate the wave-like behavior of particles.