What is the width of a wave packet?

In summary, the discussion is about the concept of "wave packet" and gaussian functions in Gasiorowicz's Quantum Physics. The width of the function is defined as the full width at 1/e of its maximum value, which is equivalent to the standard deviation of a normal distribution. In the third edition, a different explanation is given, stating that the width is equal to 2/sqrt(alpha). This is referring to the standard deviation of the normal distribution. The reason for using "full width, 1/e times maximum" instead of FWHM is that it gives a value equal to the standard deviation, which is considered to be the more fundamental definition. However, if comparing to a full-width, a factor of 2
RicardoMP
I'm reading Gasiorowicz's Quantum Physics and at the beggining of chapter 2, SG introduces the concept of "wave packet" and gaussian functions associated to them. The first attached image is the 28th page of the book's 1st edition I suppose, and my question is about the paragraph inside the red box. I suppose f(x) is a normal distribution. What does SG means by the function's width? Is it its FWHM? If it were, wouldn't the width be [itex] 2\sqrt{2ln(2)}\sigma [/itex]? Or if not, why is the width of order [itex]2\sqrt{2}[/itex], since the function at [itex]x=\pm 2\sqrt{2}[/itex] falls to [itex]\frac{1}{e}[/itex] of its peak value?
The second attached image is the "same page" from the 3rd edition (which I found harder to understand) and another explanation (green box). How can I conclude that, since the "square falls 1/3 of its peak value when [itex]\alpha(k-k_0)^2=1[/itex], [itex]\Delta k = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\alpha}}[/itex]? Is this reffering to the standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex] in the normal distribution (third attached image)?
I hope I'm not missing something obvious.
Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• SG1.PNG
    SG1.PNG
    35 KB · Views: 450
  • SG2.PNG
    SG2.PNG
    87.6 KB · Views: 432
  • standarddeviation.PNG
    standarddeviation.PNG
    3.6 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
It says in the red box it means "full width, 1/e times maximum"

MisterX said:
It says in the red box it means "full width, 1/e times maximum"
And is there a reason for using "full width, 1/e times maximum" instead of FWHM?

For a Gaussian distribution, this gives you a value equal to the standard deviation of the distribution, which is actually the more fundamental definition. $$\Delta x = \sigma_x = \sqrt {\langle x^2 \rangle - {\langle x \rangle}^2}$$ Actually, the standard deviation is a half-width (think ##\mu \pm \sigma##), so if you want to compare it to a full-width, you need a factor of 2.

Last edited:

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized disturbance or oscillation that travels through a medium, carrying energy and momentum. It is a combination of multiple waves with different frequencies and wavelengths, and has a finite width in space and time.

2. How is the width of a wave packet determined?

The width of a wave packet is determined by the spread of frequencies and wavelengths present in the packet. A packet with a narrow range of frequencies and wavelengths will have a smaller width, while a packet with a wider range will have a larger width.

3. What is the relationship between wave packet width and uncertainty?

According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which we can measure the position and momentum of a particle. This means that as the width of a wave packet decreases, the uncertainty in its position and momentum increases, and vice versa.

4. How does the width of a wave packet affect its propagation?

The width of a wave packet determines the degree of dispersion or spreading of the packet as it propagates through a medium. A narrower packet will experience less dispersion, while a wider packet will experience more dispersion.

5. Can the width of a wave packet be changed?

Yes, the width of a wave packet can be changed through various means, such as altering the frequencies and wavelengths of the component waves, or by manipulating the medium through which the packet is propagating.