Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave-Partical Duality

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    Hello All,

I hope that this question has not yet been asked.
    I'm interested if the double-slit experiment has been conducted with more than one observer.
    I mean one (or more) "light-measuring devices" that have been set on every slit for the sake of verifying if the results come out differently.
    It would be very helpful if you could provide any links or literature where I can clarify this issue.

Thanks a lot

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you observe which slit it goes through the interference pattern disappears - that's the case whether you observe just one slit or both.

I don't know if the experiment has been done, but what will happen is very well known.

Thanks
    Bill

4. Oct 16, 2014 #3
    The thing to remember about the double-slit experiment is that the act of observing the photons or electrons involved requires that you interact with them - which destroys any interference patter you might have had, and leads to particle-like behavior.

I have a good description of the double-slit experiment here: http://keirionparadigms.com/HThesis/HThesisDoubleSlit.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook