Wave-Particle Dualism: Exploring Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter Ratzinger
  • Start date
In summary, when we measure something, we get clicks and dots, particle-like behaviour. This corresponds to the wave-particle dualism. However, this view is not correct, as the multiverse / many-worlds interpretation of QM supports.
Ratzinger
In my naive understanding of quantum mechanics I always believed that the so-called wave-particle dualism corresponds to the two co-existing processes, unitary time evolution of state vectors and measurement. Wave-like behaviour refers to time evolution of the state, particle-like when measurements are taking.

I found my view confirmed when reading two popular books, Feynman’s “QED” and Nick Herberts “Quantum physics”. Both explicitly stress that whenever we measure and do it carefully enough we get clicks and dots, particle-like behaviour. Waves, superposition, smeared-out states belong to what happens between measurements.

But after reading here diverse threads on PF my view looks not so right anymore to me. Can someone say something to this?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In the spirit of Copenhagen, you have it 100% correct!

When we talk back and forth here in the PF threads, we are sometimes somewhat idiomatic in how we say things. For example, someone might say something like:

"The particle goes through both slits."

In Copenhagean terms, this is understood to mean:

"The wavefunction propagates through both slits."

Or, you can think that the universe itself is in a superposition of states and the particle actually goes thru both slits. This leads to the multiverse / many-worlds interpretation of QM. See Wikipedias http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation" for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
kvantti said:
Or, you can think that the universe itself is in a superposition of states and the particle actually goes thru both slits. This leads to the multiverse / many-worlds interpretation of QM. See Wikipedias http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation" for example.

But is the universe coherent? Won't in instantly decohere from random self-interactions?:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
selfAdjoint said:
But is the universe coherent? Won't in instantly decohere from random self-interactions?:smile:

The "real" question is: is the multiverse coherent? :wink:

As soon as the coherent state is lost, you observe one quantum state in one universe and the other states in other universes. But the observation does not create the other universes as usually thought; they exist already side by side in a superposition before observation. This is a crucial point that usually gets missed.

Even when I observe the state of a particle, there always exists a universe where it hasn't been observed yet.

Oops, I got a little offtopic here... anyway, I'm a proponent of the MWI. :rolleyes:

What is wave-particle dualism?

Wave-particle dualism is the concept in quantum mechanics that states that particles, such as electrons and photons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. This means that they can behave as both a discrete particle and a continuous wave depending on the experimental conditions.

What is the significance of wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is significant because it challenges our classical understanding of particles and waves. It suggests that at the smallest scales, the behavior of matter and energy cannot be fully explained by either classical mechanics or classical electromagnetism. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and the development of quantum technologies.

What experiments support the concept of wave-particle duality?

The double-slit experiment, in which a beam of particles is passed through two slits and produces an interference pattern, is one of the most famous experiments that supports wave-particle duality. Other experiments, such as the photoelectric effect and the Compton effect, also demonstrate the dual behavior of matter and energy.

Can we observe the wave-like and particle-like properties of a particle at the same time?

No, according to the principle of complementarity in quantum mechanics, it is not possible to observe both the wave-like and particle-like properties of a particle at the same time. This is because the act of observation itself affects the behavior of the particle.

How does wave-particle dualism relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, proposed by Werner Heisenberg, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is directly related to wave-particle dualism because it suggests that particles do not have a definite position or momentum until they are observed, and their behavior can only be described probabilistically.