1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Patterns

1. Oct 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I read from a book (obtained from a library) which stated that:

"Wave patterns, no matter how complicated, can always be written as a sum of simple wave patterns.
    Ex: ψ(x) = sin2x = 1/2 + cos2x/2
    "

I understand that ψ(x) has been decomposed with double angle trignometry formulas.

"More generally, it is possible to decompose the wave function into components corresponding to a constant pattern plus all possible wavelengths of hte form 2pi/n with n, an integer. That is, we can find coefficients cn such that:

ψ(x) = sigma (n=0 to infinite) cn cosnx In this ex, c0 = 1/2 and c2 = -1/2. All other coefficents are zero.
    "

So...since the statement said, "wave patterns, no matter how complicated," I decided to try out with ψ(x) = sin4x out of curiosity....

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ψ(x) = sin4x
    I used double angle formulas to get:
    ψ(x) = (1-cos2x)2/4...meaning the wave pattern is decomposed into:
    ψ(x) = 1/4 + cos2x/2 + cos22x/4

However, I am trying to figure out about

"ψ(x) = sigma (n=0 to infinite) cn cosnx In this ex, c0 = 1/2 and c2 = -1/2. All other coefficents are zero.
    " Could someone explain how to use this method so that I can try it out on ψ(x) I just made up?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2

td21

Gold Member

cos22x = 1 - sin22x
    and use the example.

4. Oct 15, 2014 #3
    ψ(x) = 1/4 + cos2x/2 + cos22x/4
    = 1/4 + cos2x/2 + 1/4 - sin22x/4
    = 1/2 - cos2x/x -1/4(1/2)(1-cos2x)
    = 3/8 - 3cos2x/8...since it is now in two terms...I guess c0 = 3/8 and c2 = -3/8?

5. Oct 15, 2014 #4

td21

Gold Member

yes.

6. Oct 15, 2014 #5
    Hmm..but, I don't understand why only even values of n show up? I mean, why is c1 or c3 = 0, not not for n = 0 and 2? It seems it happens to both ψ(x) = sin2x and sin4x? Or, am I thinking too much?

7. Oct 16, 2014 #6

td21

Gold Member

On line 3, cos4x will appear.

Odd values of n will show up for some other functions.

8. Oct 16, 2014 #7

td21

Gold Member

No. Sorry for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted