1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave problem?

1. Feb 18, 2007 #1
    wave problem??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An apparatus is used to prepare an atomic beam by heating a collection of atoms to a temperature T and allowing the beam to emerge through a hole of diameter d in one side of the oven. The beam then travels through a straight path of length L. Show that the diamter of the beam at the end of the path is larger than d by an amount of order L*hbar/(d*sqrt(3mkT)) where m is the mass of an atom. Make a numerical estimate for typical values of T=1500K m=7amu(lithium atoms), d=3mm, L=2m.

2. Relevant equations

no clue :cry:

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the ratio using the given data and got 2.604*10^-9 meters.
    I have no clue where to even begin on this problem. Really all I'm looking for is a hint. Not someone to do it for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First step: find at what horizontal speed the beam emerges (that speed will depend on kT and on the mass)

Second step: use that v_x to find how long it takes to travel a distance L

Third step, use the uncertainty principle along the y direction to find the velocity along y (the value of [itex] \Delta y [/itex] is basically the diameter of the hole)

Fourth step: multiply the time of the second step by the y velocity of the third step.

I did it very quickly and got that answer. But the most tricky part is to get correct the factors of 2!!

Patrick

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?