Solving Sound Wave Phase Difference: Analysis of (x,y,z) Co-ords

In summary: Let's summarize the conversation:In summary, a spherical sound wave source at the origin emits a sound wave with a frequency of 13100Hz and a wave speed of 346m/s. The phase difference in degrees and radians between two points with (x,y,z) coordinates (1cm,3cm,2cm) and (-1cm,1.5cm,2.5cm) is found by using the equation \Delta\phi=2\pi\Deltax/\lambda and finding the difference in distance from the origin for each point. After using the 3-D distance formula, the phase difference is calculated to be pi/2 or 90 degrees.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

a spherical sound wave source at the origin emits a sound wave with frequency 13100Hz and a wave speed of 346m/s. what is the phase difference in degrees and radians between the two points with (x,y,z) co-ords (1cm,3cm,2cm) and (-1cm,1.5cm,2.5cm)??

Homework Equations

v=f[tex]\lambda[/tex]
[tex]\Delta\phi[/tex]=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]x/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lambda[/tex]=v/f=346/13100=26.4x10^-3m
[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex]=2[tex]\pi[/tex](.01--.01)/[tex]\lambda[/tex]=
2[tex]\pi[/tex](.02)/26.4x10^-3=4.76rad=272.6degrees

i know this question seems simple but is it really just that, it doesn't seem right?
what about the x,y,z co-ords, y tell me them? please does anyone have any idea??

Physics news on Phys.org
srry bout all them, pi's they are meant to be multiplied, for some reason they look superscript, don't quite know how to use this equation editor yet...

it doenst help that there is not an example of a question like this in my book, just the formula... but 4.76rad and 272.6degrees, doesn't seem quite right...

Hi fredrick08,

fredrick08 said:

Homework Statement

a spherical sound wave source at the origin emits a sound wave with frequency 13100Hz and a wave speed of 346m/s. what is the phase difference in degrees and radians between the two points with (x,y,z) co-ords (1cm,3cm,2cm) and (-1cm,1.5cm,2.5cm)??

Homework Equations

v=f[tex]\lambda[/tex]
[tex]\Delta\phi[/tex]=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]x/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lambda[/tex]=v/f=346/13100=26.4x10^-3m
[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex]=2[tex]\pi[/tex](.01--.01)/[tex]\lambda[/tex]=

I don't think this is right. The important thing for the phase changes is the distance the waves are for the source. If this was a one-dimensional wave in the x-direction, you would just subtract the x-coordinates. What would you need to do for a three-dimensional case? Once you have that, I think the rest is straightforward.

oh ok, yer that's what i was thinking, but how do i find out the distance from each other in 3d? i don't quite understand how to draw a 3d graph... the difference between the x,y,z is (0.02,-0.015,0.005)m...

No, what is needed is not the distance between the points, but the difference in how far each point away is from the origin. What do you get?

(For example, if the two points were (1,0,0) and (0,1,0), the phase difference would be zero, because they would be the same distance from the origin.)

ok so i got have to do a lot of pythag...

point1=sqrt(0.01^2+0.03^2)=0.031m, and in z dir, sqrt(0.031^2+0.02^2)=0.0374m
point2=sqrt(0.01^2+0.015^2)=0.018m, and in z dir, sqrt(0.018^2+0.025^2)=0.0308m
change=point1-point2=0.374-0.0308=0.0066
put that in the equation and rofl change in phase = .25(2pi)=pi/2 or 90degrees rofl... now that question has been rigged lol, is that right? sounds it lol

That looks right to me

You can do the 3-D distance formula in one step, so point 1 would be:

[tex]
d=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}=\sqrt{0.01^2+0.03^2+0.02^2}
[/tex]
and the same thing for point 2.

wow kool, didnt know that lol, never worked in 3d before... lol, anyways thanks so much, ur a legend! lol

Sure, glad to help!

1. What is the significance of analyzing sound wave phase difference?

Analyzing sound wave phase difference allows us to understand the relationship between multiple sound sources and how they interact with each other. This can help in identifying the location, direction, and distance of the sources as well as the properties of the medium through which the sound is traveling.

2. How do (x,y,z) coordinates play a role in analyzing sound wave phase difference?

The (x,y,z) coordinates represent the spatial position of the sound sources and receivers. By measuring the phase difference between these coordinates, we can determine the relative distance and direction of the sources, which is crucial in understanding the overall sound field.

3. What factors can affect sound wave phase difference analysis?

There are several factors that can affect sound wave phase difference analysis, including the properties of the medium (such as temperature and humidity), the type and frequency of the sound waves, and the placement and orientation of the sources and receivers.

4. How is sound wave phase difference measured and calculated?

Sound wave phase difference is typically measured by comparing the arrival times of the same sound wave at different locations. The phase difference is then calculated using trigonometric functions, taking into account the distance and direction between the sources and receivers.

5. What are some practical applications of solving sound wave phase difference?

Solving sound wave phase difference has many practical applications, including in acoustic imaging, noise cancellation, and localization of sound sources in various industries such as engineering, medicine, and entertainment. It can also aid in understanding complex sound fields and improving sound quality in audio systems.