Do Muons and Electrons with the Same Kinetic Energy Share Identical Wavelengths?

In summary, the discussion is about a statement made by a student regarding the relationship between the energy and wavelength of muons and electrons. The statement is deemed incorrect by one of the participants, who explains the reasoning behind it. The equation E=hc/\lambda is mentioned, but it is clarified that it is only valid for massless particles traveling at the speed of light. The question is then clarified to assume that both muons and electrons have the same kinetic energy.
JaWiB

Homework Statement

Consider the statement below made by a student: "Muons have a higher mass than electrons, but because the energy, E, is related to the wavelength by E=hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex], muons that have the same kinetic energy as electrons will also have the same wavelength."

Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Explain your reasoning.

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda=h/p[/tex] (de Broglie wavelength)

The Attempt at a Solution

The statement seems wrong to me. If you substitute in for [tex]\lambda[/tex] in the first equation, you get cp, but kinetic energy is p^2/(2m) and those two can't be the same (solving for c gives c=v/2).

I'd never seen the first equation before, but looking in my textbook it looks like E is the change in energy of an atom when a photon is absorbed or emitted and I don't know how you could apply it to an electron/muon (can you?)

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\lambda[/itex] is different for different objects, so why should E be the same?

E is the total relativistic energy, not p^2/2m. Also, E = hf, where f is the frequency associated with the de Broglie wave.

Just do the simple math. Also, reading up on de Broglie wavelength would be a good idea.

EDIT:
-----

Are you talking about the muons and the electrons having the same energy, by any chance? This is not mentioned in the problem, so I assumed not.

Also, [itex]E=hc/\lambda[/itex] is valid only for massless particles which travel at speed c.

Last edited:
>[itex]\lambda[/itex] is different for different objects, so why should E be the same?
The question is assuming you have two particles with the same kinetic energy.

>For high speed particles, E is the total relativistic energy, not p^2/2m.
Ok, but I still doubt that cp=Ek for an electron. Is that wrong?

>Also, E = hf, where f is the frequency associated with the de Broglie wave.
And if f=v/[tex]\lambda[/tex], then E = vp. But v can't be c for an electron, so the equation can't work here (?)

Sorry, you posted while I was replying. Yes, that's the problem:
"muons that have the same kinetic energy as electrons..."

>Also, is valid only for massless particles which travel at speed c.

I'm guessing this is essentially the answer to the question

1. What are wave properties of matter?

Wave properties of matter refer to the characteristics and behavior of matter that can be described using wave-like concepts, such as wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. These properties are observed in both particles and waves, and they help to explain how matter moves and interacts with its surroundings.

2. How do waves affect matter?

Waves can have a variety of effects on matter, depending on the specific properties of the wave and the type of matter it is interacting with. For example, waves can cause matter to vibrate, transfer energy, or even change the shape or structure of the matter. Waves also play a critical role in the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic levels.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in matter?

In matter, the wavelength and frequency of a wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the wave equation, which states that the product of wavelength and frequency is equal to the speed of the wave.

4. How do wave properties of matter differ from wave properties of light?

While both matter and light can exhibit wave-like behavior, they have some key differences in their wave properties. For example, matter waves have a physical wavelength and amplitude, while light waves have a wavelength and amplitude that are related to the electromagnetic field. Additionally, matter waves can be affected by external factors, such as temperature and pressure, whereas light waves are not.

5. What are some real-world applications of wave properties of matter?

Wave properties of matter have many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. For example, understanding the wave behavior of matter is essential for developing technologies such as MRI machines, lasers, and semiconductors. These properties also play a crucial role in materials science, as they help scientists design and manipulate materials with desired properties for specific uses.