1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave properties of matter

1. May 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the statement below made by a student: "Muons have a higher mass than electrons, but because the energy, E, is related to the wavelength by E=hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex], muons that have the same kinetic energy as electrons will also have the same wavelength."

Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Explain your reasoning.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\lambda=h/p[/tex] (de Broglie wavelength)

3. The attempt at a solution

The statement seems wrong to me. If you substitute in for [tex]\lambda[/tex] in the first equation, you get cp, but kinetic energy is p^2/(2m) and those two can't be the same (solving for c gives c=v/2).

I'd never seen the first equation before, but looking in my textbook it looks like E is the change in energy of an atom when a photon is absorbed or emitted and I don't know how you could apply it to an electron/muon (can you?)

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

[itex]\lambda[/itex] is different for different objects, so why should E be the same?

E is the total relativistic energy, not p^2/2m. Also, E = hf, where f is the frequency associated with the de Broglie wave.

Just do the simple math. Also, reading up on de Broglie wavelength would be a good idea.

EDIT:
    -----

Are you talking about the muons and the electrons having the same energy, by any chance? This is not mentioned in the problem, so I assumed not.

Also, [itex]E=hc/\lambda[/itex] is valid only for massless particles which travel at speed c.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  4. May 18, 2008 #3
    >[itex]\lambda[/itex] is different for different objects, so why should E be the same?
    The question is assuming you have two particles with the same kinetic energy.

>For high speed particles, E is the total relativistic energy, not p^2/2m.
    Ok, but I still doubt that cp=Ek for an electron. Is that wrong?

>Also, E = hf, where f is the frequency associated with the de Broglie wave.
    And if f=v/[tex]\lambda[/tex], then E = vp. But v can't be c for an electron, so the equation can't work here (?)

5. May 18, 2008 #4
    Sorry, you posted while I was replying. Yes, that's the problem:
    "muons that have the same kinetic energy as electrons..."

>Also, is valid only for massless particles which travel at speed c.

I'm guessing this is essentially the answer to the question

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?