1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave pulse

1. Aug 4, 2004 #1
    I can't figure out how to find the mass of the clothesline, even though given the density, because the radius or crossectional area is not given. Any input on this would be appreciated.

A clothesline of length 10m is stretched between a house and a tree. The clothesline is under a tension of 50N and it has a density of 6x10^-3 kg/m. How long does a wave pulse take to travel from the house to the tree and back?

I have a couple of questions that use the density and they all allude me. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Note that you have been given a LINE DENSITY, not a volume density..

4. Aug 4, 2004 #3
    daisyi:

How much time do you think the wave will take? And why do the questions allude you? Post your solutions...

Cheers
    Vivek

5. Aug 7, 2004 #4
    The wave travels at a velocity called the Phase Velocity. This velocity is responsible for covering the length of the string.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?