1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave question

1. Dec 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm stuck on part ii).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm confused as to how I would know the direction the wave is travelling at one instant on the (sine) wave??

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The problem states that it is a stationary wave.

4. Dec 1, 2016 #3
    ok, so does this mean y and z are travelling up if the wave is moving left to right? or is it moving down at points y and z since they're closest to the guy on the right?

5. Dec 1, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Since it is a stationary wave, nothing is moving left or right. There are fixed nodes (points where the string doesn't move).

6. Dec 2, 2016 #5
    okay so since it's a standing wave, the 'string' is moving up and down, so doesn't this mean that y and z are about to move up??

7. Dec 2, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Even if it were a travelling wave, all the string does is move up and down. What moves left or right is the overall shape, perceived as though it were a rigid object. It is effectively an optical illusion. In a standing wave, the illusion is different.

Do you have an equation for a standing wave? You did not list any equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted