Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave ratings for mirrors

1. Sep 17, 2003 #1
    I know that a telescope system is supposed to be at least 1/4 wave or less (for both primary and secondary ratings combined), but I am not quite sure what the wave rating refers to. Can someone explain what this is measuring.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A "quarter-wave" mirror is a mirror whose figure is an accurate parabola within one quarter wavelength of a specific color of visible light (green, I believe). In other words, the hills and valleys on the mirror's surface are smaller than about 100 nanometers from the ideal parabolic figure.

- Warren

4. Sep 18, 2003 #3
    Thanks chroot,
    I thought it was something like that, but I have never seen it defined.

5. Sep 29, 2003 #4

Labguy

Science Advisor

As chroot said, the measure is usualy in green light, most sensitive to the eye and at a wavelength short enough to be meaningful. A 1/25th wave mirror measured in red light would most likely be a terrible figure for a telescope mirror.

Actually, most wavelength claims are being ignored in favor of an accurate measure of the "Strehl Ratio", which is much more indicative of a mirror's surface accuracy.

See:
    http://www.rfroyce.com/standards.htm

Labguy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?