How can I determine the velocity of the ionosphere based on wave reflections?

In summary, the problem involves a short-length wave receiver receiving two signals from a distant source at 500Km. One signal is from normal conduction through the atmosphere and the other is from the reflection of this wave in the ionosphere. The ionosphere behaves like a mirror for this type of wave and is located at 200Km from the ground. The frequency of the source is 10Mhz and the received signal varies through two maximums 8 times per minute due to the displacement of the ionosphere. The problem asks for the velocity of the ionosphere, assuming that the Earth surface is almost plane and there is no turbulence or other dampings in the air. The term "ionosphere" may not be accurate,
AronH
Hello!
I am having a problem with this problem about the reflection of a "radio wave" in the high atmosphere. (ionosphere)
"A short-length wave receiver receive two signals from a distant source at 500Km, beeing those signals, one from the normal conduction through the atmosphere and the second from the reflection of this wave in the ionosphere, that behaves like a mirror for this kind of wave. Consider the ionosphere at 200Km from the ground. We have, the frequency of the source is 10Mhz and the signal transmited varies through two maximuns 8 times per minute. This happens because the displacement of the ionosphere. Which is the velocity of the ionosphere. (assume that the Earth surface is almost plane and that the wave do not suffer any kind of turbulence or other dampings in the air)"
I can't figure this question out. The point of the reflection and the way the ionosphere is moving to make this "delay".
Can anyone help me with this?
Thank you,

Aron
PS- I don't know exactly if the term "ionosphere" is correct, in my language it is something like that for this part of the atmosphere but the name in fact doesn't matter, either the problem doesn't ask for any previsius knowledge of it.

Science news on Phys.org
We have, the frequency of the source is 10Mhz and the signal transmited varies through two maximuns 8 times per minute.

Could you possibly mean that the RECEIVED signal varies as specified?

Integral said:
Could you possibly mean that the RECEIVED signal varies as specified?

What I mean, I think that the problem mean by this is, that the received signal that is a superposition of the both signals, from the normal transmition trought the air and the reflected one, gets a maximun value, they are in phase, at 8 times per minute.

What is the wave reflection problem?

The wave reflection problem is a phenomenon in which waves encounter an abrupt change in medium or boundary and are reflected back, causing interference with the original wave.

What are the factors that affect wave reflection?

The factors that affect wave reflection include the angle of incidence, the properties of the medium, and the shape and angle of the boundary or interface.

How does wave reflection impact the behavior of waves?

Wave reflection can affect the amplitude, frequency, and direction of waves. It can also lead to phenomena such as standing waves and resonance.

What are some real-life examples of the wave reflection problem?

Some real-life examples of the wave reflection problem include echoes in sound waves, bouncing of waves off a wall or barrier in the ocean, and reflections of light off a mirror or smooth surface.

How can the wave reflection problem be minimized or controlled?

The wave reflection problem can be minimized or controlled by using materials with appropriate properties for the medium or boundary, adjusting the angle of incidence, and using techniques such as dampening or absorption to reduce the amplitude of the reflected wave.