Is There a Disagreement on Wave Reflection in Different Sources?

In summary, the conversation discusses two sources that describe wave reflection. The first source from Hyperphysics states that when a wave meets a rigid surface, it changes phase by 180 degrees and produces a standing wave. However, the second source shows a wave hitting a rigid surface resulting in an inverted wave. The conversation then questions the accuracy of the first source and provides additional sources for reference. The final conclusion is that the first source may be misleading in its explanation of the dynamics of wave reflection.
azaharak
Please look at the two sources that describe wave reflection.

Hyperphysics states that when a wave meets a rigid surface, it changes phase by 180 deg, such that an upright wave will reflect upright, as to produce a standing wave with the right conditions.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/standw.html#c1

I've come across many other sources like the following that show a wave hitting a rigid surface resulting in the opposite effect as above.
http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/feschools/waves/string.htm

Are these two different situations? My texts books seems to support both, but they seem to be at odds with each other.

Help

Science news on Phys.org
Well I think I understand the problem... please comment

I think the hyper physics site is very misleading.

The reflected wave from an Upright wave becomes flipped (vertically), however by the time it fully emerges from the rigid boundary time has passed and it adds constructively with the next incoming wave.

I don't think the hyperphysics site explains the dynamics correctly.

Help anyone?

I guess my issue is I believe that when a wave hits a rigid material it will "invert" itself, however I don't consider this a 180 phase change.

Look at the following applet on phase and imagine the relfected inverted wave, the phase woudn't change at all.

http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/acoustics/phase.htm

However if the wave was upright there would be a 180 phase change.

http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14e/stwaverefl.htm

Please, any comments are greatly appreciated

1. What is wave reflection?

Wave reflection is the phenomenon in which a wave is bounced back from a surface after hitting it. This occurs when the wave encounters an obstacle or a change in medium that causes it to change direction.

2. How does wave reflection occur?

Wave reflection occurs when a wave hits a surface at an angle and is then redirected in the opposite direction. This is due to the particles of the medium vibrating and transferring energy to each other, causing the wave to bounce back.

3. What factors affect wave reflection?

The factors that affect wave reflection include the angle at which the wave hits the surface, the type of surface it hits, and the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. Other factors such as frequency, amplitude, and wavelength can also affect wave reflection.

4. What is the difference between specular and diffuse reflection?

Specular reflection is when a wave is reflected off a smooth surface and the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. Diffuse reflection, on the other hand, occurs when a wave is reflected off a rough surface and the angle of incidence is not equal to the angle of reflection. This results in the wave being scattered in different directions.

5. How is wave reflection used in real-world applications?

Wave reflection has many practical applications, such as in radar technology, where waves are reflected off of objects to detect their presence and location. It is also used in sonar technology for underwater navigation and communication. In addition, wave reflection is utilized in everyday objects like mirrors and solar panels.