Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave reflection

1. Jun 25, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I know this is probably a very logical question but just to confirm. Can wave reflection interfere with communication in any wave.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2011 #2
  4. Jun 25, 2011 #3
    deleted. I guess that's the answer.

5. Jun 26, 2011 #4
    I typed wave instead of way. I don't think you have answered my question though.

6. Jun 26, 2011 #5
    " Howdy. You mean if a wave containing information is reflected the information is obstructed/degraded/destroyed ? "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherence_(physics [Broken])

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_cancellation

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Jun 27, 2011 #6
    Yes.

8. Jun 27, 2011 #7
    [correction noted]

Yes, considered in the broadest possible way. In a highly reflective environment the signal will come to the receiver split up into multiple phases simultaneously received. Some expert in communication might have better answer, that formally an original signal can be perfectly reconstructed in its original phase.

9. Jun 27, 2011 #8

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it probably is not as relevant of an example today as it used to be (damn kids and their digital TV), but you could most glaringly see the effects of reflections watching over the air TV. With analog TV, a reflection that is received by the antenna causes the signal to "ghost." The phase shift in the reflection from the longer path length causes a ghosted image to appear with the original image.

This is just one of the many ways in which multipath reflections can screw with your signal but it is one of the easiest to experience and understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook