Wave speed and time question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wave moving through a string at a given speed, wavelength, and amplitude. The question is to find the time required for a particle on the string to move through a certain distance. The solution involves understanding the difference between the motion of the wave and the motion of the particles of the string, and using the equation speed = wavelength x frequency.
hartfan

Homework Statement

A wave is moving through a string at 450 m/s. The wavelength is 0.18 m and the amplitude is 2.0 mm. What is the time required for a particle on the string to move through 1.0 km? (The answer given is 5.0x10 s).

Homework Equations

The only equations I can think of are the ones relating frequency, period, wave speed and wavelength, where wave speed = wave length x frequency. The period is the inverse of frequency.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I divided the 1.0 km by the wave speed, I get 2.22 s. I don't know how else the 1.0 km is related to anything else, and can't figure out how the amplitude has to do with anything. How do you even find the function of the wave? This has been bothering me for almost a week now and I've been looking up every physics text I can find in the library and none of them could offer me a solution. Please help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't mix up the motion of the wave itself--governed by that speed = wave length X frequency formula--with the motion of the particles of the string. The wave moves along the string, but which way do the particles of the string move? That's where the amplitude (and the frequency) comes in.

Doc Al said:
Don't mix up the motion of the wave itself--governed by that speed = wave length X frequency formula--with the motion of the particles of the string. The wave moves along the string, but which way do the particles of the string move? That's where the amplitude (and the frequency) comes in.

Wow. I finally get it now. Thanks for the brilliant tip. I don't know why I never thought of it that way before.

1. What is the formula for calculating wave speed?

The formula for calculating wave speed is speed = distance / time. This means that the speed of a wave can be found by dividing the distance of the wave by the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. How does the medium affect wave speed?

The medium, or substance, that a wave travels through can affect its speed. Generally, waves travel faster through denser mediums, such as solids, compared to less dense mediums like gases.

3. Can the speed of a wave change?

Yes, the speed of a wave can change. It can be affected by factors such as the properties of the medium, the wavelength, and the frequency of the wave. In some cases, the speed of a wave may also change if it encounters a boundary between two different mediums.

4. Is wave speed the same as wave frequency?

No, wave speed and frequency are different properties of a wave. Wave speed refers to the rate at which a wave travels through a medium, while frequency is the number of complete wave cycles that pass a given point in a certain amount of time. They are related, however, as the speed of a wave is equal to its frequency multiplied by its wavelength.

5. How can we measure the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave can be measured by measuring the distance the wave travels in a certain amount of time. This can be done using tools such as a stopwatch and a ruler. Another method is to use the known wavelength and frequency of the wave to calculate its speed using the formula mentioned in the first question.