Solve Wave Speed Equation: Frequency, Wavelength & 3x108

In summary, the "wave speed" equation for the electromagnetic spectrum is v = fλ, where v is the velocity of the wave, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. The speed of all EM waves is 3 x 10^8 m/s. To find the wavelength, rearrange the equation to λ = v/f and plug in the values for v and f. In the example given, a radio frequency of 92.2 x 10^6 Hz, the wavelength would be 3.25 meters.
garyadamson
I was hoping somebody could help me with the "wave speed" equation relating to the EM spectrum.

The equation is:
Speed = Frequency x wavelength (v=fλ)

I believe the speed of all EM waves is 3 x 108

this all seems simple enough, however i find putting this into practice somewhat complicated.

For instance; "A radio frequency has a frequency of 92.2 x 106 Hz. Find its wavelength" How would I go about tackling such a question? If anybody could give me a step by step guide I'd be eternally greatful!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, rearrange the equation, to give [itex]\lambda=\frac{v}{f}[/itex], then plug in the numbers.

Hmmmm...

Thanks, but what exactly must I do. Any chance of a step by step guide of how you'd do it?

Well, that pretty much tells you! You rearrange the formula, then put in the value of v and the value of f. You divide the value of v by the value of f and you have [itex]\lambda[/itex]. What particular part don't you understand?

Thanks, I think I was just going through a phase of thinking too hard without taking a step back and lookinga at the bigger picture. I fully understand now!

I am sorry for interuptting but i am now starting physics in form 4 but don't seem to understand ...watching the question you used as a example ...what is v then

v is the velocity of the wave, which for any electromagnetic wave (light, radio, micro, gamma, etc) is c, the speed of light (3x10^8 m/s).

orrr ok...thankssss...now understand...

1. What is the formula for calculating wave speed?

The formula for calculating wave speed is speed = frequency x wavelength. This is also known as the wave speed equation.

2. What is the unit for measuring wave speed?

The unit for measuring wave speed is meters per second (m/s). This represents the distance the wave travels in one second.

3. How do you find the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave can be found by dividing the speed of the wave by the wavelength. The equation is frequency = speed / wavelength.

4. What is the speed of light in a vacuum?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 3 x 108 meters per second. This is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel in the universe.

5. How are frequency and wavelength related?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa. Mathematically, this can be represented by the equation frequency x wavelength = constant.