Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wave Speed Equation

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    I was hoping somebody could help me with the "wave speed" equation relating to the EM spectrum.

The equation is:
    Speed = Frequency x wavelength (v=fλ)

I believe the speed of all EM waves is 3 x 108

this all seems simple enough, however i find putting this into practice somewhat complicated.

For instance; "A radio frequency has a frequency of 92.2 x 106 Hz. Find its wavelength" How would I go about tackling such a question? If anybody could give me a step by step guide I'd be eternally greatful!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, rearrange the equation, to give [itex]\lambda=\frac{v}{f}[/itex], then plug in the numbers.

4. Jan 17, 2007 #3
    Hmmmm.....

Thanks, but what exactly must I do. Any chance of a step by step guide of how you'd do it?

5. Jan 17, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, that pretty much tells you! You rearrange the formula, then put in the value of v and the value of f. You divide the value of v by the value of f and you have [itex]\lambda[/itex]. What particular part don't you understand?

6. Jan 18, 2007 #5
    Thanks, I think I was just going through a phase of thinking too hard without taking a step back and lookinga at the bigger picture. I fully understand now!

7. Aug 6, 2010 #6
    I am sorry for interuptting but i am now starting physics in form 4 but don't seem to understand .....watching the question you used as a example ...what is v then

8. Aug 6, 2010 #7
    v is the velocity of the wave, which for any electromagnetic wave (light, radio, micro, gamma, etc) is c, the speed of light (3x10^8 m/s).

9. Aug 6, 2010 #8
    orrr ok...thankssss....now understand.....

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook