• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Wave Speed Equation

I was hoping somebody could help me with the "wave speed" equation relating to the EM spectrum.

The equation is:
Speed = Frequency x wavelength (v=fλ)

I believe the speed of all EM waves is 3 x 108

this all seems simple enough, however i find putting this into practice somewhat complicated.

For instance; "A radio frequency has a frequency of 92.2 x 106 Hz. Find its wavelength" How would I go about tackling such a question? If anybody could give me a step by step guide I'd be eternally greatful!

Thanks

Answers and Replies

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Well, rearrange the equation, to give [itex]\lambda=\frac{v}{f}[/itex], then plug in the numbers.

Hmmmm.....

Thanks, but what exactly must I do. Any chance of a step by step guide of how you'd do it?

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Well, that pretty much tells you! You rearrange the formula, then put in the value of v and the value of f. You divide the value of v by the value of f and you have [itex]\lambda[/itex]. What particular part don't you understand?

Thanks, I think I was just going through a phase of thinking too hard without taking a step back and lookinga at the bigger picture. I fully understand now!

I am sorry for interuptting but i am now starting physics in form 4 but don't seem to understand .....watching the question you used as a example ...what is v then

v is the velocity of the wave, which for any electromagnetic wave (light, radio, micro, gamma, etc) is c, the speed of light (3x10^8 m/s).

orrr ok...thankssss....now understand.....