1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Speed Equation

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    I was hoping somebody could help me with the "wave speed" equation relating to the EM spectrum.

The equation is:
    Speed = Frequency x wavelength (v=fλ)

I believe the speed of all EM waves is 3 x 108

this all seems simple enough, however i find putting this into practice somewhat complicated.

For instance; "A radio frequency has a frequency of 92.2 x 106 Hz. Find its wavelength" How would I go about tackling such a question? If anybody could give me a step by step guide I'd be eternally greatful!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, rearrange the equation, to give [itex]\lambda=\frac{v}{f}[/itex], then plug in the numbers.
  4. Jan 17, 2007 #3

Thanks, but what exactly must I do. Any chance of a step by step guide of how you'd do it?
  5. Jan 17, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, that pretty much tells you! You rearrange the formula, then put in the value of v and the value of f. You divide the value of v by the value of f and you have [itex]\lambda[/itex]. What particular part don't you understand?
  6. Jan 18, 2007 #5
    Thanks, I think I was just going through a phase of thinking too hard without taking a step back and lookinga at the bigger picture. I fully understand now!
  7. Aug 6, 2010 #6
    I am sorry for interuptting but i am now starting physics in form 4 but don't seem to understand .....watching the question you used as a example ...what is v then
  8. Aug 6, 2010 #7
    v is the velocity of the wave, which for any electromagnetic wave (light, radio, micro, gamma, etc) is c, the speed of light (3x10^8 m/s).
  9. Aug 6, 2010 #8
    orrr ok...thankssss....now understand.....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?