Calculating Wave Speed in a Stretched Brass Wire

In summary, to find the wave speed in a brass wire with a radius of 3.35×10-4 m stretched with a tension of 120 N, you can use the formula v = sqrt(T/mu) with the given density of brass (8.60×103 kg/m^3) and calculate the linear density by finding the mass of a meter of the wire. This can be done by using the cylinder formula V=pi*r^2*h and solving for mass using density*volume = mass. This will give a mass of 0.0154 kg, which can be used in the formula for wave speed.
asz304

Homework Statement

What is the wave speed in a brass wire with a radius of 3.35×10-4 m stretched with a tension of 120 N? The density of brass is 8.60×103 kg/m^3.

Homework Equations

v = sqrt( T/ mu )

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue about this problem. It gives me regular density but i need linear density in order for the formula to work and i don't know how or if i even can convert reg density to linear. Nor can i find any other relevant equations that would clear it up for me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi asz304! :wink:
asz304 said:
It gives me regular density but i need linear density in order for the formula to work and i don't know how or if i even can convert reg density to linear.

easy-peasy …

linear density = mass per metre,

sooo … find the mass of a metre! :smile:

So the mass is just 8,600 kg?

And what will the length be? the radius?

Thanks

nooo :rolleyes:

what does a metre of this particular wire look like?

I got it!

Since you said mass of a meter, I used the cylinder formula

V= pi*r^2*h

the height is 1 m, which gives me volume. Then I used density*volume = mass, and I get 0.0154 kg to use in v = sqrt( T*L/m ).

Thanks!

What is wave speed?

Wave speed is the rate at which a wave travels through a medium, such as a brass wire. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

How is wave speed calculated?

Wave speed can be calculated by dividing the wavelength of the wave by the period of the wave. The wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in the wave, and the period is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the wave.

Does the thickness of the brass wire affect wave speed?

Yes, the thickness of the brass wire can affect the wave speed. Thicker wires have a larger cross-sectional area, which means there is more material for the wave to travel through. This can result in a slower wave speed compared to thinner wires.

How does temperature affect wave speed in brass wire?

Temperature can affect the wave speed in brass wire because it can change the wire's stiffness and density. As temperature increases, the wire becomes less stiff and the wave speed decreases. Conversely, as temperature decreases, the wire becomes stiffer and the wave speed increases.

Why is wave speed important in brass wire?

Wave speed is important in brass wire because it affects the wire's ability to transmit sound and electrical signals. Understanding the wave speed in brass wire is crucial for designing and optimizing various technologies, such as musical instruments, communication devices, and electrical circuits.