1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave speed of a string

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two strings have been tied together with a knot and stretched between two rigit supports. The strings have linear densities µ1 = 1.4 x 10-4 kg/m and µ2 = 2.8 x 10-4 kg/m. Their lengths are L1 = 3.0m and L2 = 2.0m, and string one is under 400N tension. If a pulse is started simultaneously on each string, travelling towards the knot, which pulse reaches the knot first?

2. Relevant equations

v=√(T_s/μ)

3. The attempt at a solution

v1=√(400N/(1.4 x 10^-4 kg/m)=1690m/s)
    v2=√(400N/(2.8 x 10^-4 kg/m)=1195m/s)

v1 should be faster, but I know that I'm missing something in my equations. We've been given the two lengths of the strings and the tension of only one string, so how do I utilize the value of the lengths in my formula?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2

pam

Time=dist/v.
    The knot doesn't move. What does that say about the tension in each strilng?

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3
    Does the tension remain the same in each string?

5. Feb 28, 2008 #4

pam

Yes, the two forces on the knot must cancel.

6. Feb 28, 2008 #5
    So then why does the question give the two lengths of the string and do I use the values of Length in solving the problem?

7. Feb 28, 2008 #6

pam

time=length divided by speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?