1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Speed Of Standing Wave

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wire with an alternating current flowing through it is placed in a magnetic field. This causes the wire to oscillate with a frequency equal to the frequency of the current (you will learn about this when we study electromagnetism). The wire has a length (length is measured from the node at which the wire is tied to the pulley) L = 2.46 m. A mass of 244.0 g is hung on the end of the wire. The frequency of the current is initially set to f = 59.8 Hz. Three loops are observed in the wire at this frequency as shown in the diagram.

Image attached with this post!

2. Relevant equations

(2Lf)2= T/µ.

3. The attempt at a solution

µ = T/(2Lf)2 =(0.244*9.8)/(2* 2.46m*59.8 Hz)^2

This answer was wrong according when inserted!

Any help finding the velocity or the mass per unit length is kindly appreciated!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What does the second "2" mean?

Where did you calculate the wave-length of the oscillation (or, equivalently, where did you use the information that there are three loops)?

4. Oct 5, 2013 #3
    I wasn't too sure how to incorporate that :/ I'm an economics student, doing this physics subject as an elective. I wasn't too sure how you could relate the three looops.

5. Oct 6, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Imagine how the loop looks at some specific point in time. A bit like this: "^u^". How many wavelengths are this? And the next question, what is the wavelength then?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted