1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave speed

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    One of the harmonics on a string 1.4 meters long has a frequency of 18.4 Hz. The next higher harmonic frequency is 23.9 Hz.

(a) What is the fundamental frequency of the string?
    f1 = Hz *
    5.5 OK

(b) What is the speed of the waves on the string?
    v = m/sec

the URL:https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/cc/shell/DuPage/Phys1201/spring/tma.pl?Ch-14-Waves/wt_fundamental#pr [Broken]

I found the frequency, but im just a little confused on how to find the speed. i know i have to use the equation: v=hf. but im just confused on how to find wavelength... wavelength is the distance it takes to complete a full cycle correct? i dont know where im going wrong in my calculations

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know the difference between the frequencies of successive harmonics is 5.5 Hz. This difference is a function of v and L, and you already know L.

(Hint: Use ω = nπv/L, you have to convert the angular frequency here to Hertz)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook