What is the Relationship Between Interference and Wavelengths?

In summary: Can you please help me to understand this relationship? In summary, I am unsure how the formulae are derived and whether they are related to wavelengths.
Theudius
Hi could someone please explain to me what is meant by the term wave speed because I am confused by the definition which states "how fast a point moves on the wave".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Theudius said:
Hi could someone please explain to me what is mean by the term wave speed because I am confused by the definition which states "how fast a point moves on the wave".
Welcome to the PF.

Are you familiar with the difference between the "phase velocity" and the "group velocity" in a wave? Have you read about this at Wikipedia yet? :smile: That might be a good start -- you could post links to the parts of the explanation that you aren't understanding yet.

Likes Theudius
Theudius said:
"how fast a point moves on the wave".
BTW, that quote can imply other things as well.

The topics I mentioned in my last reply (phase velocity and group veloticy) have to do with how fast the crests of a wave move forward. But "how fast a point on the wave moves" can also imply how fast a point on a transverse wave moves "up and down" as the wave moves "left to right".

So in your reading about waves, also include some reading about "transverse waves" and "longitudinal waves". You will start to see how the quote you posted is not really defined well enough to give you a good answer without more context and details.

Enjoy the learning. Post if you need help finding good links to read, or if you have questions about the reading you are doing at the links. :smile:

Hi thanks for your replies, I have been reading further into waves and I'm starting to understand the term wave speed in more detail.

I have also started reading into interference and path difference but one thing I'm uncertain about is how it is related to wavelengths and how the formulae path difference = nλ and path difference = (n+ 1/2)λ are derived.

1. What is wave speed?

Wave speed is the rate at which a wave travels through a medium. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is wave speed calculated?

The formula for calculating wave speed is v = λf, where v is the wave speed, λ (lambda) is the wavelength, and f is the frequency of the wave.

3. What factors affect wave speed?

The factors that affect wave speed include the medium through which the wave is traveling, the properties of the medium (such as density and elasticity), and the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

4. How does wave speed relate to wave energy?

Wave speed and wave energy are directly related. As wave speed increases, so does the energy of the wave. This means that waves with higher speeds are more powerful and can cause more damage.

5. Can wave speed change?

Yes, wave speed can change depending on the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. For example, in denser mediums, such as water, wave speed is generally slower compared to less dense mediums, such as air.