Understanding Wave Structure: Exploring Real State Functions in Quantum Physics

In summary: These are all examples of quantum mechanical systems that can have a real-valued wave function. Wave functions are used to describe the probability distribution of a particle in quantum mechanics. A real-valued wave function is one in which the imaginary component is zero, meaning the probability is evenly distributed. Examples include the step potential, infinite well, finite well, harmonic oscillator, and some wave functions for the hydrogen atom.
Ed Quanta
What type of wave structure does a real state function correspond to? I am sorry. I meant to post this in the Quantum physics section.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's a "wave structure"?

Please , restate your question more specifically.

what do You mean. The expressions you are using are very strange to say the least. :confused: :tongue:

regards
marlon

A wave function Q(x) which is real has a structure such that the average momentum is zero.

[I'm using Q(x) to represent the wave function in position space because there's no psi on my keyboard and 'w' which most looks like psi I use for eigenvalues]

marlon said:
Please , restate your question more specifically.

what do You mean. The expressions you are using are very strange to say the least. :confused: :tongue:

regards
marlon

What type of physical phenomena is described by a real valued wave functon?

Ed Quanta said:
What type of physical phenomena is described by a real valued wave functon?

Since the time-depedent part is always complex, I'm assuming you mean the space-dependent part. In that case, you have only to look up the chapter on stationary state problems in any elementary QM textbook. You will find that the step potential, the infinite well, the finite well, the harmonic oscillator all have real-valued space wavefunctions. The hydrogen atom also has some purely real spatial wavefunctions.

1. What is wave structure in quantum physics?

Wave structure refers to the behavior of particles in quantum physics, which can be described as both a wave and a particle at the same time.

2. How does wave structure impact our understanding of quantum physics?

Wave structure allows us to better understand the dual nature of particles and how they behave in certain situations, such as interference patterns and superposition.

3. What are real state functions in quantum physics?

Real state functions are mathematical representations of the state of a particle in quantum physics. They describe the position, momentum, and other properties of a particle at a given time.

4. How do we explore real state functions in quantum physics?

We can explore real state functions through mathematical equations and experiments, such as the Schrödinger equation and the double-slit experiment.

5. What is the significance of understanding wave structure in quantum physics?

Understanding wave structure is crucial in understanding the fundamental nature of particles and how they behave in the quantum world. It also has practical applications in fields such as computing and cryptography.