Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave structure question

1. Sep 3, 2004 #1
    What type of wave structure does a real state function correspond to? I am sorry. I meant to post this in the Quantum physics section.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's a "wave structure"?

4. Sep 3, 2004 #3
    Please , restate your question more specifically.

what do You mean. The expressions you are using are very strange to say the least. :confused: :tongue:

regards
    marlon

5. Sep 4, 2004 #4
    A wave function Q(x) which is real has a structure such that the average momentum is zero.

[I'm using Q(x) to represent the wave function in position space because there's no psi on my keyboard and 'w' which most looks like psi I use for eigenvalues]

6. Sep 4, 2004 #5
    What type of physical phenomena is described by a real valued wave functon?

7. Sep 4, 2004 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since the time-depedent part is always complex, I'm assuming you mean the space-dependent part. In that case, you have only to look up the chapter on stationary state problems in any elementary QM textbook. You will find that the step potential, the infinite well, the finite well, the harmonic oscillator all have real-valued space wavefunctions. The hydrogen atom also has some purely real spatial wavefunctions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?