1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave superposition.

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the amplitude and phase of the luminous disturbance produced by the superposition of N waves of the same amplitude and phases which increase in an arithmetic progression ([itex]\delta[/itex],[itex]2\delta[/itex], ...[itex]n\delta[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the trig identity cos(u+[itex]\delta[/itex]), where [itex] u=(kr-\omega t) [/itex] I rewrite the resulting wave(with asterisks), which is a linear combination of n waves with different phases. Associating the coefficients I get the following 2 equalities:

[itex]A^*cos\delta^* = A \sum cos\delta_n[/itex]

[itex]A^*sin\delta^* = A \sum sin\delta_n[/itex]

Beyond that it gets ugly if I try to solve for A* or δ*, for example squaring both and adding gives me:

[itex]A^* = \sqrt(A^2 ( \sum cos\delta_n)^2 + ( \sum sin\delta_n)^2)) [/itex]

is there another way to do this?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the Euler form of the waves: B*e= A*∑einδ.

ehild

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    I also tried that but it leads me to the same set of equations, is my solution for A* correct? Cause I can't think of anything else to do with it.

5. Oct 3, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Aeiδn is element of a geometric sequence with quotient e and Ae as first element. The sum of N element is the resultant wave.

[tex]B e^{i \theta}=A e^{i\delta} \frac{e^{i \delta N}-1}{e^{i\delta}-1}[/tex]

Factor out eiδ N/2 from the numerator and eiδ/2 from the denominator:

[tex]B e^{i \theta}=A e^{i\delta (N+1)/2} \frac{e^{i \delta N/2}-e^{-i \delta N/2}}{e^{i\delta/2}-e^{-i\delta/2}}=A e^{i\delta (N+1)/2}\frac{\sin(N\delta/2)}{\sin(\delta/2)}[/tex]

ehild

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook