Wave Superposition: Solving for Resultant Amplitude

• Thread starter damnwebassign
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, when two waves with the same frequency and different amplitudes interfere at a point with a phase difference of 62.0 degrees, the resulting amplitude can be found by adding the phasors head-to-tail and taking the length of the resulting vector. In this case, the answer is 3.13 (A).
damnwebassign

Homework Statement

Two waves of the same frequency have amplitudes of 1.26 and 2.33. They interfere at a point where their phase difference is 62.0(deg). The resultant amplitude is:
A. 3.13
B. 3.59
C. 0.77
D. 1.21
E. 2.15

Homework Equations

y(x,t) = y_m sin(kx-wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know right away the answer is not B because there is a phase difference. So what I did was (1.26+2.33)*sin(62) and I get 3.17 which is not in the list. I am supposed to just assume its 3.13 (A) or am I doing something wrong. Thanks help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Represent the waves as phasors.
Add the phasors head-to-tail just like vectors.
The length of the result is the amplitude you are after.

eg. if they were the same amplitude, but the relative phase was exactly 60 degrees, then the resulting vector would be 3A/2 by √3.A/2 (pythagoras) gives √3.A as the amplitude. (The net phase is just arctan(1/√3).)

YES! thank you I got it now... thanks for the explanation the phasors helped me figure it out, forgot that little bit from lecture. I am reviewing for a final your a life saver.

1. What is wave superposition?

Wave superposition is the phenomenon where two or more waves overlap and combine to form a new wave.

2. How is wave superposition used to solve for resultant amplitude?

To solve for resultant amplitude, we use the principle of superposition, which states that the displacement of a medium caused by the overlapping waves is equal to the algebraic sum of the individual displacements caused by each wave.

3. What factors affect the resultant amplitude in wave superposition?

The amplitude, frequency, and phase difference between the overlapping waves all affect the resultant amplitude. In addition, the medium through which the waves are traveling can also affect the resultant amplitude.

4. Can wave superposition be applied to different types of waves?

Yes, wave superposition can be applied to all types of waves, including mechanical waves (such as sound waves and water waves) and electromagnetic waves (such as light waves).

5. How is the principle of superposition related to the concept of interference?

The principle of superposition is closely related to the concept of interference, as it explains how two or more waves can interact with each other to produce a resultant wave. Interference occurs when the waves are in phase (constructive interference) or out of phase (destructive interference) with each other.