1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave through uniform rope

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform rope of length L and negligible stiffness hangs from a solid fixture in the ceiling
    The free lower end of the rope is struck sharply at time t=0. What is the time t it takes the resulting wave on the rope to travel to the ceiling, be reflected, and return to the lower end of the rope?

2. Relevant equations

Equation for wave motion - is it this:
    y(t ) = A cos (kt - w),
    for some constants k,w.

3. The attempt at a solution
    v = sqrt (F/u) = sqrt (mg/ (m/L) ) = sqrt (gL)
    this implies that velocity is constant for the wave. I was wondering if this was correct, since it looks suspicious.
    From here, I'm not exactly sure where to go - which wave equation should I use to go further (to solve and find out what I want to find out?). Would plugging in to the equation I had before, y( t) = A cos(kt-w), be the way to go?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2008 #2
    F is not a constant in this case, each part of the rope is beeing stretched differently depending on how close it is to the ceiling

4. May 26, 2008 #3
    In that case, how would I deal with a situation where F is not constant? I have only learnt so far how to deal with cases where it is constant.

5. May 26, 2008 #4
    the equation for v is still valid you just have to write F in terms of x (where x is distance from the bottom part of the rope)

6. May 26, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You'll need to integrate. Find the speed of the wave as a function of position along the rope. (What's the tension as a function of position?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?