Exploring Tunneling: A Guide to Wave Phenomena

In summary, the conversation discusses tunneling as a quantum phenomenon and its connection to the skin effect in electromagnetism. The phenomenon is due to the delay in electrons accelerating and re-radiating, leading to a logaritmic decrease in the potential and causing the tunneling effect. Further information can be found in textbooks or through online research.
AronH
Hi!

I always thought that tunneling was a quantum phenomenum. So another day I found a problem which is about the part of the light that can be transmitted (refracted) even if you send I light beam in an angle greater then the limit angle of two material boundary. By the way looking at a physics book I found that tunnelling can also happen with mechanical waves.
I just want to find where I can get a good explanation to this, tunneling.
Thank you,

Aron

Physics news on Phys.org
This phenomenon has been known for a very long time. It's sometimes called the "skin effect" in electromagnetism and was first studied by Lord Kelvin and Nicola Tesla.

You easily verify the theory behind the effect by simply considering the wave equation for a light wave normally incident onto a conductor with a given number density for unbound electrons. While you will find an oscillatory solution for, say, the electric field outside the conductor, the solution is exponentially decaying inside the conductor (the evanescent wave).

Physically, it is due to the fact that given a finite number density for electrons in the conductor it takes a finite amount of time for the electrons to accelerate and reradiate in a way to destructively interfere with the incident wave. Of course the further into the conductor the cumulative effect of electrons exposed to the fields becomes more effective at excluding the incident field.

Also, if the electron number density is not above a critical density for the incident wave then some portion of the wave will propagate in the usual fashion through the material.

Well, let's say it in mathematical words:
It is because of the existence of a complex answer in the domain that we have a potential grater than our energy. That answer decreases in a logaritmic way.
That makes the tunneling effect.

Thank you guys.

I got the point about the reflection and skin effect.
So let me ask more about this. Where I can find some information about the quantitative necessities to this phenomenum happens. Like the espesure of the material and dependence of it is electron density and how to measure it.
Thank you again, in advance.

Aron

Any competent textbook on electricity and magnetism will discuss the skin effect. You can also get additional information with a web search (e.g. Google).

1. What is tunneling?

Tunneling is a phenomenon in which particles or waves are able to pass through a barrier that they theoretically should not be able to penetrate. This is possible due to the wave-like nature of particles, which allows them to behave as both a particle and a wave.

2. How does tunneling occur?

Tunneling occurs when a particle or wave approaches a barrier with insufficient energy to overcome it. Instead of bouncing off the barrier, the particle or wave is able to pass through it due to its wave-like behavior. This is known as quantum tunneling.

3. What are some real-world applications of tunneling?

Tunneling has many important applications, including in quantum computing, scanning tunneling microscopy, and nuclear fusion. It also plays a crucial role in the operation of semiconductor devices such as transistors and diodes.

4. How is tunneling related to wave phenomena?

Tunneling is a wave phenomenon, as it occurs due to the wave-like behavior of particles. It is closely related to concepts such as interference, diffraction, and resonance, which are also wave phenomena.

5. What are some challenges in studying tunneling?

One of the main challenges in studying tunneling is the complex mathematical models and equations that are used to describe it. Additionally, the behavior of particles at the quantum level can be difficult to observe and measure accurately, making it challenging to study tunneling experimentally.