1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave vector algebra

1. Apr 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm having difficulty showing that the general equation k = 2∏/λ holds from the component equations kx = 2∏/λx etc..., k = √(kx2 + ky2 + kz2), and λ = √(λx2 + λy2 + λz2). Any help? There is a photo from a textbook with the equations also below.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

what are you defining λ to be?

edit: also, if you use λ in the equation k = 2∏/λ then you can see it doesn't work.

4. Apr 6, 2013 #3
    Yes, I'm just tryin to derive the formular for λ from the component formulae, but obviously (as you state) it doesn't seem to work. What then, is the justification for the association between the general wavenumber and the component wavenumbers if they don't correspond in the natural way?

5. Apr 6, 2013 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

the general wavenumber does correspond in the natural way to the component wavenumbers. But the general wavenumber does not correspond in the natural way to the component wavelengths. Is this what you were thinking about?

6. Apr 7, 2013 #5
    Yes, precisely. I wonder, then, how the component wavenumbers (and their corresponding component wavelengths) are related to the general wavenumber and wavelength?

7. Apr 7, 2013 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

if you think about the vector wavenumber and vector wavelength: (kx,ky,kz) (call it k) and (λx,λy,λz) (call it λ) then there is a nice equation you can write, which involves the two vectors k and λ (hint: what kind of operation can you use between two vectors?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted