1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave vs waves

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    Does a disturbance (that is continuous) propagating away from a point constitute just one single wave? Or does it constitute more than one wave?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2
    I don't have an answer. But if a rock drop in a still pond, it generate a ring of disturbance and propagate out like a ring. Behind the ring, it is all still again. I would not consider it is continuous and is one single wave propagating outwards.

But if you have a continuous disturbance at the origin like you described, even the wave propagate out, it is ONE continuous wave.

That's how I see it.

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Funnily enough, exactly this question came up in discussion with colleagues the other day. Generally, we favoured 'wave', even for a continuous sinusoidal disturbance, but we didn't think there was much wrong with 'waves', either!

What I don't think is good is to divide a sinusoidal wave profile into portions each a wavelength long, and reserve the term 'wave' for each portion. But then nobody was suggesting doing so!

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4
    what if you take a long rope and give a good whip as you finish your motion right on the ground? Guess what...you are going to see a single wave...this is called a "traveling wave" and it happens in the real world in many places...I, for one, found them during college studies in power transmission lines.

On the other hand, I am not about the semantics...it seems as if a wave is wave whether it is a single distortion or multiples one in sequence...the word 'waves' seems to be applicable when you actually have waves of different source or frequency, etc, you know what I mean.

6. Jul 20, 2011 #5
    Usually it is both....Generally, waves can be decomposed into constitutent components...sums, products,etc....

An easy way to think about it is any trigonometric identity function:

for example:

Sin (x +y) = Sin(x)Cos(y) + Cos(x)Sin(y)

or

Sin2x = 2SinxCosx

7. Jul 21, 2011 #6

olivermsun

Science Advisor

I don't think the question is easily answered. Would one characterize an ideal solitary wave as a "wave" or "waves"?

8. Jul 21, 2011 #7
    That's why I said I don't have an answer, just my opinion.

9. Jul 21, 2011 #8
    Well, amplitude, phase, frequency, wavelength, all these typical wave-ish terms are applicable to a "wave" (singular), which is a continuous sinewave. Or at least that's what comes to mind when you think about it in electronics domain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook