Wavefronts: Understanding Wave Optics

In summary, a wavefront is the boundary of the support of a propagating disturbance, and it can be thought of as the locus of points that have traveled the same distance from a given origin after a certain time. It can have a spherical structure in isotropic mediums. For converging and diverging rays, the wavefront can be thought of as the boundary of the support of the wave, with converging rays corresponding to a concave shape and diverging rays corresponding to a convex shape. The speed of the wavefront cannot exceed the speed of light in vacuo according to relativity.
Bheshaj
What Is a wavefront? How can we interpret it?

Science news on Phys.org
How do you interpret it ? What have you found so far ?

BvU said:
How do you interpret it ? What have you found so far ?
as per my book it is locus of all points oscillating in same phase. but i am not getting any sense of it from definition as to how to identify them and their structures.

Wording as in wiki. It's a description. When you are surfing you ride the crest of a wave: a wavefront. Do they have a structure ?

BvU said:
Wording as in wiki. It's a description. When you are surfing you ride the crest of a wave: a wavefront. Do they have a structure ?
like if we through a stone in water the wavefront of water waves will have spherical structure as an example

Cultural issue: I would call that shape and reserve 'structure' for 'how it's built and with what'.
Other issue with 'identify': they don't have social security numbers.
Double trouble with 'how to identify them and their structures' .

Google is your friend: a wave is a propagating disturbance and from that I would loosely consider the wavefront as the locus of 'first arrivals'.

For identification some form of detection seems indicated and for shape you would need extended detection.

Shape is relative: for a lot of phenomena the plane wave concept is already adequate, for others you need a bit more (cylindrical, spherical).

Likes Bheshaj
BvU said:
Cultural issue: I would call that shape and reserve 'structure' for 'how it's built and with what'.
Other issue with 'identify': they don't have social security numbers.
Double trouble with 'how to identify them and their structures' .

Google is your friend: a wave is a propagating disturbance and from that I would loosely consider the wavefront as the locus of 'first arrivals'.

For identification some form of detection seems indicated and for shape you would need extended detection.

Shape is relative: for a lot of phenomena the plane wave concept is already adequate, for others you need a bit more (cylindrical, spherical).
why does a point source produce spherical wavefront because waves are emitted in all the directions in 3 dimension

Last edited by a moderator:
A disturbance proagates with a certain speed. If the medium is isotropic that speed will be the same in every direction, so after a given time the wavefront (:rolleyes:) has propagated over equal distances in all directions. The locus of points that have the same distance to a given origin is a spherical shell

Likes Bheshaj
BvU said:
A disturbance proagates with a certain speed. If the medium is isotropic that speed will be the same in every direction, so after a given time the wavefront (:rolleyes:) has propagated over equal distances in all directions. The locus of points that have the same distance to a given origin is a spherical shell
got it , but can you please tell what will be the wavefront for converging and diverging rays and why?

You bring in 'rays' now. What are you asking ? What have you found so far and what is unclear ?

Rays are perpendicular to wavefronts, so:

Best I can think of is diverging ##\leftrightarrow## convex
and converging ##\leftrightarrow## concave (2nd picture in the link from post #4)

I wouldn't define "wave front" as the points of equal phase but rather as @BvU in #6: It's the boundary of the support of the wave. It's important to note that according to relativity that boundary cannot move faster than the speed of lightt in vacuo. Both phase velocity (i.e., the speed of points of equal phase) and group velocity (i.e., the speed of the center-of-energy) can exceed the speed of light without violating any causality constraints of relativity, and indeed that's what happens for light (electromagnetic waves) propagating in matter.

1. What is a wavefront in wave optics?

A wavefront is an imaginary surface that connects all the points of a wave that have the same phase or are in the same stage of the wave's cycle. It is used to visualize and analyze the behavior of waves in wave optics.

2. How are wavefronts related to the direction of wave propagation?

Wavefronts are perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. This means that the wavefronts are always at right angles to the direction in which the wave is traveling. This relationship is known as Huygens' principle.

3. What is the difference between a plane wavefront and a spherical wavefront?

A plane wavefront is a flat, straight wavefront that travels in a single direction. On the other hand, a spherical wavefront is curved and expands outward in all directions from a point source. Plane wavefronts are commonly used in wave optics calculations, while spherical wavefronts are useful for understanding the behavior of waves from a point source.

4. How do wavefronts affect the properties of light?

Wavefronts play a crucial role in determining the properties of light, such as its intensity, polarization, and diffraction. By understanding the shape and behavior of wavefronts, scientists can predict and manipulate the behavior of light in various optical systems.

5. Can wavefronts be used to correct vision problems?

Yes, wavefront technology is used in modern optometry to diagnose and correct vision problems such as astigmatism, myopia, and hyperopia. By analyzing the wavefronts of light entering the eye, optometrists can create customized prescriptions that correct for individual imperfections in the eye's optics.