Wavefunction, blackhole

  • Thread starter jby
  • Start date

jby

Does a blackhole have a wavefunction?
 
36
0
Sure. Everything "has" a wavefunction. The problem is we don't know it.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by jby
Does a blackhole have a wavefunction?
Some Quantum Cosmologists work on [the idea] of a wave function for the entire universe. By this it is also suggested that we don't collapse wave functions: When I look at a gauge, I leap into a superposition of eigenstates.
 

drag

Science Advisor
1,055
0
Re: Re: wavefunction, blackhole

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
When I look at a gauge, I leap into a superposition of eigenstates.
Or... you just leap into one while your other "you" leaps
into another...
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Re: Re: Re: wavefunction, blackhole

Originally posted by drag
Or... you just leap into one while your other "you" leaps
into another...
Which one of me were all of you speaking to?
 

jby

Re: Re: wavefunction, blackhole

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
When I look at a gauge, I leap into a superposition of eigenstates.
What do you mean?
 

jby

Originally posted by heumpje
Sure. Everything "has" a wavefunction. The problem is we don't know it.
Why not? What makes it difficult compared to microscopic objects?
If we were to start off a search to develop the wavefunction for a blackhole, what are the conditions must the wavefunction that we will get fulfill?
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Re: Re: Re: wavefunction, blackhole

Originally posted by jby
What do you mean?
I don't know.

Although I got this directly from Dr. Steve Carlip -
http://www.physics.ucdavis.edu/Text/Carlip.html

- I am not sure if this information is on his web site. Quantum Cosmology sites should have some discussions.

Perhaps someone else can help here?
 

jeff

Science Advisor
658
1
This pointless post was brought to you by the three stooges smileys
 
36
0
Originally posted by jby
Why not? What makes it difficult compared to microscopic objects?
If we were to start off a search to develop the wavefunction for a blackhole, what are the conditions must the wavefunction that we will get fulfill?
Normally (for microscopic objects that is) we look for eigenstates of the Hamiltonian but a macroscopic object is not in an eigenstate.
 

jby

Originally posted by heumpje
Normally (for microscopic objects that is) we look for eigenstates of the Hamiltonian but a macroscopic object is not in an eigenstate.
In this quantum case, how do you exactly explain eigenstate? And why doesn't a macroscopic object be in an eigenstate? Can there be any chances that the object be in an eigenstate?
 

Related Threads for: Wavefunction, blackhole

  • Posted
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Poll
  • Posted
Replies
19
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
9
Views
3K
Replies
28
Views
5K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving
Top