Exploring Eigenstates: Can Macroscopic Objects Be In One?

In summary, a black hole is believed to have a wavefunction, however, it is currently unknown due to the difficulty in determining it for a macroscopic object. Quantum cosmologists are working on the concept of a wave function for the entire universe, which suggests that wave functions do not collapse. Looking at a gauge causes a person to leap into a superposition of eigenstates, which can lead to multiple versions of themselves. However, it is not clear which version of a person others are speaking to. To develop a wavefunction for a black hole, it would need to fulfill certain conditions, but it is currently unknown how to determine these conditions. In general, microscopic objects are easier to determine eigenstates for, as they follow the laws of
jby
Does a black hole have a wavefunction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Everything "has" a wavefunction. The problem is we don't know it.

Originally posted by jby
Does a black hole have a wavefunction?

Some Quantum Cosmologists work on [the idea] of a wave function for the entire universe. By this it is also suggested that we don't collapse wave functions: When I look at a gauge, I leap into a superposition of eigenstates.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
When I look at a gauge, I leap into a superposition of eigenstates.
Or... you just leap into one while your other "you" leaps
into another...

Originally posted by drag
Or... you just leap into one while your other "you" leaps
into another...

Which one of me were all of you speaking to?

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
When I look at a gauge, I leap into a superposition of eigenstates.

What do you mean?

Originally posted by heumpje
Sure. Everything "has" a wavefunction. The problem is we don't know it.

Why not? What makes it difficult compared to microscopic objects?
If we were to start off a search to develop the wavefunction for a black hole, what are the conditions must the wavefunction that we will get fulfill?

Originally posted by jby
What do you mean?

I don't know.

Although I got this directly from Dr. Steve Carlip -
http://www.physics.ucdavis.edu/Text/Carlip.html

- I am not sure if this information is on his web site. Quantum Cosmology sites should have some discussions.

Perhaps someone else can help here?

This pointless post was brought to you by the three stooges smileys

Originally posted by jby
Why not? What makes it difficult compared to microscopic objects?
If we were to start off a search to develop the wavefunction for a black hole, what are the conditions must the wavefunction that we will get fulfill?

Normally (for microscopic objects that is) we look for eigenstates of the Hamiltonian but a macroscopic object is not in an eigenstate.

Originally posted by heumpje
Normally (for microscopic objects that is) we look for eigenstates of the Hamiltonian but a macroscopic object is not in an eigenstate.

In this quantum case, how do you exactly explain eigenstate? And why doesn't a macroscopic object be in an eigenstate? Can there be any chances that the object be in an eigenstate?

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle or system. It represents the probability of finding the particle in a particular location or state.

2. How is a wavefunction related to quantum mechanics?

The concept of a wavefunction is fundamental to quantum mechanics, as it allows us to describe and predict the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It is used in equations such as the Schrödinger equation to calculate the evolution of a quantum system over time.

3. Can a wavefunction collapse?

Yes, a wavefunction can collapse, which means that the particle or system it describes has been measured or observed. This collapse results in a definite outcome, rather than a probabilistic one, and is a key principle in quantum mechanics.

4. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space with such a strong gravitational pull that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself, creating a singularity at its center.

5. How is a black hole related to a wavefunction?

Some theories suggest that black holes have a wavefunction, just like particles in quantum mechanics. This wavefunction may describe the properties of the black hole, such as its mass, spin, and charge. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.