Wavefunction Collapse: Ideas & Scenario Analysis

In summary, Tim is unsure about wavefunction collapse but believes it happens when a particle is "touched" by another particle, rather than being observed by a conscious organism. He presents a simplified scenario of a particle with a 1/4 probability of being in four positions, and posits that when another particle "touches" one of these positions, there are two possible results: a full collapse, or a partial collapse. He asks for others' thoughts on his idea and Bill recommends a book for further reading.
tim1608
Hi Everyone

I am not sure of what exactly happens when a wavefunction collapses but I have some ideas about which I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Firstly, it is often said that wavefunctions collapse when they are "observed" or "measured". To be honest, I do not think that wavefunction collapse depends upon being "observed" by a conscious, cognitive, multicellular organism. I think that it is much simpler than that. I think that the wavefunction of a particle can collapse when it is in some way "touched" buy another particle. What this "touching" exactly means I don't really know but I would like to know if the people on this forum think I am on the right track here.

Imagine a simplified scenario of a particle whose wavefunction consists of four "spikes" of equal length in four positions. This means that the particle has a 1/4 probability of being in each position. Now imagine that another particle (a "measuring" particle) "touches" one of the four "spikes". As I see it, this can have the following two possible results:

1. The "measuring" particle has a 1/4 probability of receiving a "reply" from the wavefunction. If this happens then the wavefunction completely collapses and the particle being "measured" definitely is (or was) in the position of the spike which was "touched".

2. The "measuring" particle has a 3/4 probability of not receiving a "reply" from the wavefunction. If this happens then the "spike" which was "touched" dissapears and redistributes itself to the remaining three "spikes". This is a partial collapse of the wavefunction.

I would be very grateful if anyone could let me know if I am right of wrong here.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

Physics news on Phys.org
tim1608 said:
I think that the wavefunction of a particle can collapse when it is in some way "touched" buy another particle.

Sort of.

It's when it becomes entangled with it. Technically it converts it from a superposition to a mixed state.

Susskinds QM book gives a good look at the detail of this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465036678/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is wavefunction collapse?

Wavefunction collapse is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It is the process by which a particle's wavefunction, which represents the probability of finding the particle in a certain state, is reduced to a single state when it is measured or observed. This means that the particle's properties, such as position and momentum, are determined by the act of measurement.

2. How does wavefunction collapse occur?

Wavefunction collapse occurs when a quantum system interacts with an external measuring device, causing the system's wavefunction to collapse to a single state. This process is described by the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that governs the evolution of quantum systems.

3. What are the implications of wavefunction collapse?

The implications of wavefunction collapse are still a topic of debate among scientists. Some interpretations of quantum mechanics suggest that wavefunction collapse is a real physical process, while others propose that it is a mathematical construct that represents our limited knowledge about the system. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in the measurement process.

4. Is wavefunction collapse a reversible process?

No, wavefunction collapse is considered to be an irreversible process. Once a particle's wavefunction has collapsed to a single state, it cannot be reversed. This is because the measurement process involves an irreversible interaction between the quantum system and the measuring device.

5. How is wavefunction collapse related to the observer effect?

The observer effect is a phenomenon in which the act of observation or measurement affects the system being observed. In the context of quantum mechanics, the observer effect is closely related to wavefunction collapse, as the act of measurement causes the particle's wavefunction to collapse to a single state. This highlights the role of the observer in determining the properties of a quantum system.