Wavefunction Evolution Problem: Solving for \phi_1

In summary, the conversation discusses the evolution of the function phi_1 = A sin(omega t) cos(k(x+ct)) over time, using Schroedinger's Equation. The final equation does not make sense as the left hand side is a constant while the right hand side is a function of space and time. The suggestion is made to rewrite the function as a complex exponential using Euler's Theorem to possibly gain more insight.
Domnu
Problem
Describe the evolution in time of [tex]\phi_1 = A \sin \omega t \cos k(x+ct)[/tex].

Attempt at Solution
We have that

[tex]\partial^2 \phi_1 / \partial x^2 = -Ak^2 \sin \omega t \cos k(x+ct)[/tex]
[tex]\partial \phi_1 / \partial t = A \sin \omega t (-kc \cdot \sin k(x+ct)) + A \omega \cos \omega t \cos k(x+ct)[/tex]

Now, by Schroedinger's Equation,

[tex]-h^2/2m \cdot \partial^2\phi_1 / \partial x^2 = i \hbar \cdot \partial \phi_1 / \partial [/tex]

So, substituting, we have

[tex]\hbar^2 / 2m \cdot Ak^2 \sin \omega t \cos k(x+ct) = ihA \sin \omega t \cdot kc \sin k(x+ct) - i\hbar A \omega \cos \omega t \cos k(x+ct)[/tex]

[tex]\iff \hbar^2/2m \cdot k^2 \cdot \sin \omega t = i \hbar \sin \omega t \tan k(x+ct) - i \hbar \omega \cos \omega t[/tex]

[tex]\iff \hbar^2/2m \cdot k^2 = i\hbar \tan k(x+ct) - i \hbar \omega \cot \omega t[/tex]

[tex]\iff \hbar k^2 = i \cdot 2m (\tan \k(x+ct) - \omega \cot \omega t)[/tex]

Is this it? What am I to do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is [itex]\phi[/itex]?

(Sidenote: Looking at the function, the first term is a time dependent term whereas the second term is basically a "traveling wave" (for want of a better term...its actually the wavefunction of a free particle).)

I don't know what [itex]\phi[/itex] is, but if its the total wavefunction (we usually use [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex] for it..lol :tongue2:) and if your algebra is correct, the last equation doesn't make sense: the left hand side is a constant, whereas the right hand side is a function of space and time...for it to hold, [itex]x+ct[/itex] and [itex]\omega t[/itex] both should be constants (by a simple argument).

You could play around a bit by writing the whole thing as a bunch of complex exponentials, using Euler's Theorem...

[tex]\phi(x,t) = A\left(\frac{e^{i\omega t}-e^{-i\omega t}}{2i}\right)\left(\frac{e^{i(kx+kct)}+e^{-i(kx+kct)}}{2}\right)[/tex]

See if that helps...

1. What is the "Wavefunction Evolution Problem"?

The Wavefunction Evolution Problem involves solving for the time-dependent wavefunction, or \phi_1, of a quantum system. This is done by applying the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wavefunction changes over time.

2. Why is solving for \phi_1 important?

The wavefunction, \phi_1, contains all the information about the quantum system and can be used to calculate the probability of finding the system in a certain state. This is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, which have important applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and technology.

3. How is the Wavefunction Evolution Problem solved?

The Wavefunction Evolution Problem is typically solved using numerical methods, such as the finite difference method or the split-operator method. These methods involve breaking down the Schrödinger equation into smaller, solvable parts and using computer algorithms to calculate the wavefunction at different points in time.

4. Are there any limitations to solving for \phi_1?

There are some limitations to solving for \phi_1, particularly with more complex quantum systems. The Schrödinger equation becomes increasingly difficult to solve analytically as the number of particles in the system increases, and numerical methods can also be limited by computational resources.

5. What are the practical applications of solving for \phi_1?

Solving for \phi_1 has many practical applications, such as in understanding and predicting the behavior of molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles. It is also used in developing quantum technologies, such as quantum computers and sensors, which have the potential to greatly improve computing and measurement capabilities.