1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wavefunction of waves

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    hi guys,
    two questions for today one real quick one (the velocity of waves), and one I need help on how to calculate velocity for wave function of waves.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) a ocean weave with a wavelength of 120m are coming in a a rate of 8 per minutes, what is the speed.

2)The wave function of a wave is described by: y=0.02sin(30x-400t), what is the velocity

2. Relevant equations
    1) lambda = v/f , therefore v= f*lambda. Given f = 8/60 = 0.133

2) I don't know which equation to use, but I'm thinking about v=-wAsin(wt + sigma) ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) v= 0.133*120= 15.96 m/s

really confused on how to do 2). can someone give me a step by step walk through on how to derive to a solution!

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2010 #2
    The analytic form for a wave moving to the right is:

[tex]y = A\sin(kx-\omega t)[/tex]

So knowing this and the velocity equation you wrote out in Relevant equations (1), you can solve for this wave's velocity.

4. May 28, 2010 #3
    Another way is to differentiate the argument of the sine func.(the phase) with respect to time and equate it to zero.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook