Phase of Orbital/Wavefunctions in Hydrogen 2px

In summary, the phases of orbitals/wavefunctions, such as the 2px orbital in hydrogen, refer to the positive and negative values of the wavefunction at different points. These phases are important in understanding the probability of finding an electron in a certain volume of space and can also impact the interactions between overlapping orbitals.
Mark S 2014
What exactly are the phases of orbitals/wavefunctions, for example the 2px orbital in hydrogen, what does it mean for the two lobes to be in different phases ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Yes I get that it's a poorly worded question. I'm in my first year of a chemistry degree and we are just going through atomic orbitals. I just don't really get the significance of the different phases in each lobe, I get that the wavefunction is like a wave and has positive and negative values at certain points. I just don't get what this means really. How does a positive phase differ from a negative phase ?

In QM there are several ways of writing things a)Dirac notation b) Hilberts matrix formulation c)Schrodingers wavefunction and so on
The wavefunction can be described using ket and bra notation, but in general you use the wavefunction when you are talking about probability amplitudes, for exapmle the Schrodinger equation for hydrogen atoms which consits of a radial part and angluar part...

Mark S 2014 said:
I just don't really get the significance of the different phases in each lobe, I get that the wavefunction is like a wave and has positive and negative values at certain points. I just don't get what this means really. How does a positive phase differ from a negative phase ?
To say that "the wavefunction is like a wave" is not completely correct. What is important here is that the wavefunction is like a function, since it is a function, with complex values. In the case of a p orbital, that function is real, and can have a positive or a negative value, depending on the position. If you consider the probability of finding the electron in some volume in space, the sign of the wavefunction is not important since the probability is proportional to ##| \psi(\mathbf{r})|^2 ##. However, the sign can be important when considering overlaping orbitals, as the sign can lead to constructive or destructive interference: in some places, the orbitals will add to each other, elsewhere they will cancel each other out.

Thanks, much appreciated.

1. What is the significance of the phase of orbital/wavefunctions in Hydrogen 2px?

The phase of orbital/wavefunctions in Hydrogen 2px is important because it determines the spatial distribution of the electron in the orbital. The positive and negative regions of the wavefunction correspond to regions of high and low electron density, respectively.

2. How is the phase of orbital/wavefunctions in Hydrogen 2px determined?

The phase of orbital/wavefunctions in Hydrogen 2px is determined by the mathematical solutions to the Schrödinger equation for the Hydrogen atom. These solutions, known as wavefunctions, have both a magnitude and a phase component.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative phases of orbital/wavefunctions in Hydrogen 2px?

The difference between positive and negative phases of orbital/wavefunctions in Hydrogen 2px is that the positive phase corresponds to regions of high electron density, while the negative phase corresponds to regions of low electron density. In other words, the positive phase represents the presence of an electron, while the negative phase represents the absence of an electron.

4. How does the phase of orbital/wavefunctions in Hydrogen 2px affect the electron's energy?

The phase of orbital/wavefunctions in Hydrogen 2px does not directly affect the electron's energy. However, it does play a role in determining the shape and orientation of the orbital, which can indirectly affect the electron's energy by influencing its interactions with other particles or external fields.

5. Can the phase of orbital/wavefunctions in Hydrogen 2px be observed or measured?

No, the phase of orbital/wavefunctions in Hydrogen 2px cannot be directly observed or measured. This is because the phase is a mathematical concept and does not have a physical manifestation. However, its effects on electron density and energy can be indirectly observed through experiments and calculations.