Wavefunction solution to the Schrödinger Wave Equation for a H atom

In summary, the conversation revolved around the lecturer leaving out some formulas as blanks for the students to fill in. One student is stuck on finding the first equation, which has different variables than the one on hyperphysics. Another student suggests that f(r) corresponds to R(r), but notes that the numerical value given is incorrect and provides a website for reference.
On my notes, the lecturer left out some of the formulae as blanks which we were supposed to fill in as we went a long but I'm missing a few of them. The 1st one is:

[PLAIN]http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6627/screenshotdh.png [Broken]

I'm stuck here, I can't figure out what equation he's talking about there. Doesn't have the same variables as the equation on hyperphysics
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hydsch.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the f(r) corresponds to your R(r)

1. What is the Schrödinger Wave Equation for a hydrogen atom?

The Schrödinger Wave Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a quantum system, such as the hydrogen atom. It takes into account the particle-like properties of matter, as well as its wave-like nature.

2. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system, such as the hydrogen atom. It contains information about the position, momentum, and energy of the system's particles.

3. How is the wavefunction solution to the Schrödinger Wave Equation calculated?

The wavefunction solution is calculated using the Schrödinger Wave Equation, which involves solving a differential equation with the appropriate boundary conditions. This yields a set of possible wavefunctions, each corresponding to a different energy level of the hydrogen atom.

4. What does the wavefunction tell us about the hydrogen atom?

The wavefunction provides information about the probability of finding the hydrogen atom in a particular state or location. It can also tell us about the energy and momentum of the atom.

5. How does the wavefunction solution for the hydrogen atom relate to its spectral lines?

The wavefunction solution for the hydrogen atom gives us the possible energy levels for the atom. When an electron transitions between these energy levels, it emits or absorbs a photon of a specific wavelength, which corresponds to a spectral line in the hydrogen atom's spectrum.

Suggested for: Wavefunction solution to the Schrödinger Wave Equation for a H atom

Back